Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Helping a friend

My friend has a 10 gallon heated and filtered tank that she got for her birthday recently. She wants to know what fish she could put in the tank along with a single rainbow shark. She doesn't want any bettas. I suggested tetras, cory cats, or otos. How many of each should she get and what other fish could she keep with the shark?
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #2 
whatsupyall

Sorry I don't know. Bettas is the only world I know of. Just bumping this thread up to see if anyone can answer your question.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #3 
CrazyFishDude

I wouldn't suggest the rainbow shark, as they're aggressive and will probably outgrow the 10 gallon. However, a school of smaller tetras or some corydoras like you were saying would be a good option. Another good choice would be livebearers, such as platies or guppies. They're a lot of fun to watch and some types are very colorful. Good luck to your friend and her new tank, I always love new tanks; so many OPPORTUNITIES!!1!1!1กก1! (lolwut)
CrazyFishDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #4 
bettacrazygirl86

She's getting the rainbow shark, no matter what. When it outgrows the tank, she'll get a bigger tank for it. For now, they're super tiny and she won't have any problems with keeping it in the 10 gallon. She just needs to know what she could put in with it. We were thinking maybe some tiger barbs, since they had them in the tank with the sharks at Petsmart...
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #5 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
She's getting the rainbow shark, no matter what. When it outgrows the tank, she'll get a bigger tank for it. For now, they're super tiny and she won't have any problems with keeping it in the 10 gallon. She just needs to know what she could put in with it. We were thinking maybe some tiger barbs, since they had them in the tank with the sharks at Petsmart...
The tiger barbs would probably also outgrow the tank. I'm sorry if I'm sounding rude saying all this, I am not trying to. As for the rainbow shark, I guess it could be fine temporarily with very few other fish in the tank, but it will probably eventually need to be moved into about 55 gallons. If your friend can eventually get the bigger tank before it outgrows the 10 gallon then that would work.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #6 
CrazyFishDude

Overall, though, I wouldn't recommend it personally. Particularly because the shark would probably harass any other fish in the tank smaller than itself, mainly as it grows.