Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Any drug store or pharmacy will have it. To perform the task, add a drop or two to about 1/2 a cup of tank water (in a jar, preferably), shake the jar to emulsify the oil, then drop the fish in. It'll do a couple laps, then fall down and die. This is the most humane method IMO, I have had to do it more than once and the fish does not appear to be in much pain. There are studies that show that after decapitation the brain still functions for minutes, so I don't really agree with that method.

The initial dose of oil kills the fish, you do not need to add any more oil after that.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #12 
countyrd419

You buy clove oil at health food stores only such as Chamberlin's which have locations in Florida. I don't know if Whole Foods would have clove oil. But the best place would be any health food store where you live.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #13 
Irishdancer

He passed away on his own Thursday night.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #14 
sainthogan

I'm sorry to hear that. At least he's not suffering anymore.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry for the loss of your fish. At least you didn't have to euthanize him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #16 
Dej92

For people who claim to love Bettas nd be enthusiasts you have some seriously mean ways of ending Betta life. Cutting off their head? Freezing them in water? That people is cruel!!!! The best way is to either give them back to a pet store or flush them.
Dej92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

Um, flushing is one of the cruellest forms of euthanasia. The fish does not die instantly in most cases and I would imagine would suffer extreme stress until its death.

Blunt force trauma while it sounds cruel is a basically instantaneous death.

No death is pleasant, but the best death we can offer our fish is something that is fast. The less suffering the better.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #18 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dej92 View Post
For people who claim to love Bettas nd be enthusiasts you have some seriously mean ways of ending Betta life. Cutting off their head? Freezing them in water? That people is cruel!!!! The best way is to either give them back to a pet store or flush them.
We do. But they're humane. What if one of your bettas was suffering and you wanted to euthanize them quickly? You wouldn't just watch it suffer for a few more hours would you?

As LittleBettaFish said, flushing is cruel. I suppose you got that from Finding Nemo? Plus, that may possibly introduce the disease to waterways. Even the water in sewers lead to rivers and oceans. You should watch your words before you question others about theirs.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #19 
countyrd419

I see some harsh words out there. I think the moderators of this site should put a sticky note on this very sensitive subject and put a blast post on the site for us to read. Anyone agree or disagree with me? Who are the moderators of this site or are they anonymous?
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #20 
Riverotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dej92 View Post
When you give a sick, suffering betta back to a pet store - what do you think they do?

Flushing is easy for YOU. It is horribly, horrendously cruel to the betta. Do you think they just float away to heaven? No, they are sucked down like in a horrible tornado, and if they survive being bashed around the pipes they suffocate in a septic tank.

Doing what is best and easiest for our pets is not the same as doing what's easiest for us. I have had to put down many animals (when you keep many animals, what they all have in common is they age and that sometimes when they're sick you can't help them) and while there are ways it might be easier for me - I always have to do what's easiest for THEM. Even if it's not pretty for me.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote