Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #1 
Riverotter

Conformation questions

If one were breeding veiltails for show (yes, variations class, I know) what do you look for, conformation wise?

Here are 3 Veils up on Aquabid. If you were judging a class based on conformation only in what order would you place them and why?
What is each fish's best and worst feature?

I really appreciate everyone who takes the time to do this. A lot of us are visual people, and the little computer generated image doesn't translate well for me. It would be really helpful for me (and I'm sure others) to look at a picture of a fish and see on that individual what is bad and good.

And I know that the colors are not show worthy on all 3 of these. I just want to learn about conformation.

Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

Darth posted something about VT's not long ago i think. Posted some great pics too. Hope he chimes in.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

Fish #2 would be my first pick. Fish #1 would be my last pick. #1 has crazy ray branching.
#2 has the best body...I think. His dorsal should reach further back towards his caudal. Top to bottom he's a little short on top. He has split ventrals too.

Fish #3 has a short body. He seems to be more uneven top to bottom.
All three have short first rays on the dorsal.

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 07-03-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #4 
Darth

The last fish is more like it, no separation in the fins, remember old standard is NOT European standard, no separation between fins these are known as Satellites or dafodils.
Things may have changed just like most things have over the years since I was a member of the IBC but back in the old days the fish were almost all like the HM standard except they had veil tails.
The reason I picked the last fish was because his fins were more together than the first 2.

Last edited by Darth; 07-03-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #5 
Basement Bettas

They are working up a standard in the IBC.. it will NOT be like Joeps. That is too angular. I was told if you get an old betta book.. that is the form they are after. Not my area of *expertise* but would hazard a guess the first male is close to that viel form. The other two are more rounded in their tails.. and not enough length in then either.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #6 
Darth

No that's not what they did back then S, like I said it was more like the last one because they didn't want a lot of spacing again things may have changed.
But even though it has a more rounded tail there are not as much of a gap between fins.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #7 
Darth

Here is what I remember.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #8 
Riverotter

This male;

is what I think of when I think of a classic veil tail.

I used to have a really old betta book that showed pictures of bettas with tail types of the time, Spoon, Spade, Teardrop, Veil, Round.
I wish I still had it but it got lost in a cross country move. I've never found another copy - which is not helped by the fact I can't remember the exact title, only that is was something really imaginative, like "A Guide To Siamese Fighting Fish"
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #9 
Darth

This used to be the Standard. Not any of the European separated things, I remember Jim Sonnier and Walt Maurus talking about how they didn't care for the way bettas were judged overseas.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #10 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
No that's not what they did back then S, like I said it was more like the last one because they didn't want a lot of spacing again things may have changed.
But even though it has a more rounded tail there are not as much of a gap between fins.

And I had conversations at convention with the J board about the standard being developed. They want a veil shape and some length. Those first two fish are messed up deltas.. or deltas x VT. NOT what they are wanting the fish to look like. Pics in the older books show that type tail. NOT these funky hybrid ones.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote