Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #1 
mld02004

Live Plants and Sanitation

It appears that even with medication, a velvet outbreak has killed one my bettas and the other two don't look so good. I have java fern and anubias....am I going to need to throw these out when I set the tank back up after bleaching etc? I've read some things on the internet about dilute bleach baths for live plants....anyone do this?
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes actually! I've done it and it works great.

You use 1 parts bleach (I use Clorox) to 19 parts water. You can do this one of two ways; you can use three buckets of water, one to hold the solution, one to rinse and one to QT the plants after. Or you can use just two, one for solution, run water from tap to rinse and then the QT container.

As for the QT container itself you can either keep them in tap water or use 4x conditioned water, or you can start off with tap for the first part of a week and then work up to 4-5x conditioned water. So if it's 1 drop per gallon, then use 4 drops per gallon at that time.

But anyway, for the dip, you put the plant upside down and hold it by it's roots. Don't let the roots in the dip. Then lower the plant into the solution and hold it there for a full 30 seconds. Anubias may melt a little bit but it's nothing that it won't repair itself. Then rinse with tap water and place in the QT container.

If you can do a full water change on the QT container everyday for a week or so so that it can get rid of any excess bleach it may have on it and then you're plants are good to go!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #3 
mld02004

Thanks for the reply!

4x conditioned water, do you mean 4x the regular amount of water conditioner? Do you just do the bleach dip once?

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes to bleach dip once, that's all you need. And yes 4x the regular amount, as I had said if the conditioner takes 1 drop per gallon like Prime does or API Tap Water Conditioner then you use 4 drops instead ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #5 
mld02004

Great, thanks.