Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #1 
jadaBlu

Can I quarantine 5-6 cory cat fish in a 5 gallon?Do they tolerate filter sand substr.

I figure they probably will be on sale for the holiday so I wanted to buy them and start thier quarantine so they are ready to go with all of my sorrority girls. I can do regular water changes. Will it adversly affect thier health to be in a small tank like that. I can just go with 5 so it's 1 fish per gallon. They will go to 29 gallon NPT I want be sure their barbels will be find with (pool) filter sand which I plan to cap my soil with.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #2 
jadaBlu

I also need to know if they will eat betta pellets or if I should buy them some flakes. I had a cory in the past that ate flakes. I used to only buy one not knowing they were schooling fish.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #3 
LittleDeer

I think they would be fine in a five gallon as long as its not a permanent home, but I wouldn't go more than five at one time. I'm not sure about the sand, as I use very smooth gravel that I've had for a very long time.

I don't think they would eat Betta food, and I don't feed any of my fish flakes. The best things for them are Omega One Shrimp pellets and/or some kind of catfish wafer. I use both the Shrimp pellets and Hikari Sinking Wafers made with Spirulina, Silkworms, and Krill. They both sink to the bottom so its easy for them to get, though the Shrimp pellets don't always sink immediately. But my shoal of five has done very well with them.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote