Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #1 
feralhound

Starting 20gal L- how much and where to buy?

Getting all my ducks in a row before I start up a 20 gallon long NPT (which probably won't be for a while yet). I'm planning on a community tank with a single male betta.
I'll be using organic potting soil topped with /probably/ gravel, using a 6500k 40 watt bulb over a glass lid.
I'm still a beginner, so I don't know of may types of plants- but do want easy growing :]

my question is

1. How many plants do I need to order to stock it with?

2. where do you order from?

I found a place here with a beginner pack, but again I don't know if 1-2 packs is enough, if these are the right plants or even if I'm getting ripped. Plus they don't have some plants that I do want for my tank, such as hornwort.
I do have some Java ferns, wisteria, and a couple other plants I'm not sure the names of growing in some of my other tanks I could use clippings from, but there aren't that many (I go a select few from a pet store).

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
feralhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

I get most of my plants from either mike's wet pets on Ebay/AB and plantedaquariumscentral.com

There is also liveaqueria.com and you can do a general search on eaby or aquabid for live aquarium plants...however it helps to know if the plants you are getting are low or high light an dif they need anything special.

If you buy from ebay sellers, you may end up with hitchikers. I found about 5 pond snails attacjed to the jungle vals I received today. (it dosent bother me but some people are not fond of them)

The link you posted seems to be a fair price for all those plants..just be careful as some places charge an arm for shipping - one place in arizona charges lie $50 for shipping and you need a minimum of $35 to even order from them in the first place

Last edited by Tikibirds; 07-03-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #3 
feralhound

Thank you very much for the info!
Old 07-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu

Live Aquarium Plants

When you get to the last page before checkout, there's a coupon spot. Type in Bettafish to get 10% off your order (excluding shipping).
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #5 
feralhound

Oh! They even have a 20 gallon package! I haven't bought my bulb yet, so this would be excellent for low light. Bookmarked, thank you!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

YVW. She has very nice plants. Haven't been disappointed, yet.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #7 
VegasShimmer

Liveaquaria.com is fantastic. Packaging was great and their customer service is excellent. They guarantee their plants for 2 weeks. I received some questionable/dark colored anarcharis (sp?), and called the CS to ask if this was their norm. They sent out new plants that day, no questions asked, no charge. They are also 98% snail free. I'd definitely buy from them again. :)
VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #8 
jadaBlu

You should go to Petco and get your 20 long now $1.00 per gallon right now! Call around before going they may have to order one in for you.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #9 
snowflake311

It's better to just buy a few plants at a time see what works for you. Plants should grow for you. so no need to buy that many at a time they will fill in.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #10 
feralhound

Jadablue: I already got it, Sunday at Petco the day they started their sale ;) I was on that like white on rice haha!

Snowflake: I was told to heavily plant the tank when starting up a NPT? That if I didn't it would throw off the balance, or give algae the chance to grow? Can't remember exactly what the reason was, but is that true?
I've had luck with my Wisteria, java fern, I think I have some spirals in my Cichlid tank (walmart plant bulbs- amazing growth! Rooted themselves before the fish noticed and had a chance to uproot them like the Wisteria in that tank). The Peacock fern I have sprouted for a couple weeks and stopped growing- again maybe that was because I had it in the Cichlid tank.