Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #1 
R3n3gade

please someone help...

My betta merley is awesome...i never thought id care so much for a pet fish...but i definately do now...hes my first betta...ive had him for 3 months i do a water change roughly 50% each week...feed him properly and he had a filter and a heater in a 3 gallon tank...hes acting fine...actually hes very active any time i go his tank...we spend alot of time together since im in my room alot...he eats regularly swimd great and sleeps every night...but he started getting a small black dot...just one...almost as if u took a small sharpee and poked him...and it kept gettin a tad bit bigger...now its bout the size of a regular sharpee but only on his left side on the back part of his body not his fins...every other part of him is vibrant and beautiful...ive googled ive searched betta pictures for diseases and i havent found one pic that comes close to it...could it be a marking that he has naturally? Since hes acting fine? I rlly need to know and petsmart petco walmart could care less
R3n3gade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #2 
Shadyr

If he's active and acting normally, it could just be he's going to marble up on you. Some Bettas have a bad habit of changing colors.

Best advice is just to keep his water clean (like you have been), warm, and keep an eye on him. If he starts acting off, that is the time to start to worry.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #3 
R3n3gade

Wow thanks alot thats very comforting...and ya hes definately never depressed and always ready to eat...he does sleep quite a bit behind his filter ALWAYS SLEEPS THERE but i read thats normal...but if anything changes ill be back on here cuz no one else seems to know anything when i ask...it doesnt look at all like a wound or disease...and his plants are silk
R3n3gade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #4 
Shadyr

*crosses fingers that it's just coloring*

My avatar guy there is mostly blue and purple now, it's really amazing how much they can change.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #5 
Deeana Mill

It could also be a tumor starting. One of mine has a black tumor. He had it when I rescued him. I never knew that Betta fish got tumors, but they do. What I read said sometimes they get bigger and sometimes they go away on their own.

Just in case, you might want to google "Betta fish tumors".

And I do hope it all works out okay. My little guy does not seem to be bothered by it. It is located right under his mouth. He is red and it is black. He looks like the Hollywood actresses who have had those awful lip injections! But I still think he's cute, since I rescued him from the dreaded Walmart.
Deeana Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Can you post a photo? If not, what color is your guy? I'm with Shadyr on this one; especially about worrying just yet.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote