Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #1 
Raging

Guppies or Platies?

Hello :)

I am thinking of moving my first betta Delfino into a ten gallon community tank. I think he's a better option that Captain because Delfino tends to be very laid back. I have never seen him so much as flare at anything. He already has a pet Cory Cat named Manicotti and they get along so well.

My main concern for a community tank is Delfino getting his fins nipped.

I have considered guppies, Platies, and mollies for a community tank. I have been told mollies might be a little tricky though, and I know they can be aggressive. So has anyone had experience with guppies or Platies? There would also be a small school or cory cats.

I REALLY do not want baby fish.
Raging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Female guppies do well with bettas. But you have to be careful, sometimes they come home pregnant. I have 2 with my current betta, they never nipped his fins. But they annoy him sometimes, and he nips them. hehe

Platies seem to be great, too. But it all depends on the fish. Male and female platies are fine, there doesn't seem to be a color difference.

Mollies prefer brackish over freshwater, so that is probably a bad pick..
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #3 
Raging

Thank you for the reply!

I'm pretty sure mollies are not right for me or my betta. I love them, but they seem too tricky for me.

I really like the idea of Platies. I've heard that guppies can be little bullies sometimes. I think Delfino would do well n a community tank. He nipped at Manicotti when I first got him but he was done with that quickly. Now the two of them swim together and Delfino has even learned to bottom feed. He also got way more active once he had a friend.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Your cory might need a little of his kind, too. Just for a shoal, but if he's social with Delfino, I suppose it's alright. (: And it's your preference of the two, just think.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #5 
Raging

I'm definitely planning on a couple of Cory friends for Manicotti :) I didn't realize when I got him that they're a schooling fish.

I am really leaning in the direction of platies right now. I don't really want Delfino's fins nipped. They're still growing into big boy fins.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #6 
Marlow

I've never had any guppies go after other species of fish aggressively, but males are extremely annoying to everybody, including themselves, at times @.@ If anything, i'm sure they would only try mating with him a few..hundred times or so haha. Which will indeed drive him nuts. Female guppies on the other hand are lovely little darlings, and some actually do come in very fancy colors much like males. Just be careful your betta isn't super aggressive, or he may damage their delicate fins :/

Platies, on the other hand, i've had no trouble with at all. They're much more community friendly than male guppies (less annoying), and generally stick to themselves and swim about quite comically. You should get at least three to keep them happy, though this isn't a requirement, as they don't shoal exactly..They just like company. Keep in mind these guys are short but fat- they're actually quite sizeable for their small length, so you can overcrowd them fast.

I've never kept mollies, so I can't tell you about how they act. They are, however, pretty large for a 10 gallon tank (4-6 inches), and active, so it *may* not be a good idea to add them in with a slower moving betta as he may get overwhelmed.

Also, most importantly, be careful with ANY female live bearer you buy, be it guppy, platy, or molly, or something else. Any of these are likely to come pregnant, and continue getting pregnant for months even after there is no male. I hear bettas are very good fry eaters, though, so chances are not many of the babies will survive..But the sight may be sort of gruesome if you are faint of heart :( That being said, a female will be much happier with females than a male will be with males, so if you're okay with taking that risk I definitely advise it. Males can be a little rough with eachother, but will still do fine so long as there is no females in with them.
Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #7 
Skyewillow

Most female guppies aren't so bad, but I've had female guppies go after other species of fish, including bettas. Every fish in an individual.

Pygmy cories are pretty awesome though
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #8 
Raging

Thank you for all the advice! I think I'll take a look at some platies. I think they're beautiful fish.

I wasn't sure I would like my albino cory cat very much at first, but now I find him adorable.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #9 
Marlow

Glad to help ^^
Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote