Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #1 
CeceB

Water Temp Problem

Our bettas' tank is running 87F right now and I was wondering if I should try to cool it down or not. I thought ice would help but I don't know if I can throw in the ice cubes currently in the freezer because of chlorination issues.

Right now he seems to be fine, actually he seems pretty happy at this temp...so I guess what temp is too high for him and where should I worry?

I did a tank change this afternoon also so I could cool it down that way which of course is only a short term fix.
CeceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #2 
darkangel

Does he have a heater or is it just a crazy hot day?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Some say they're fine up into the 90's. You can put the ice in baggies & float that in the tank, put a fan blowing across the tank, do a water change with cooler water, open the lid, leave the light off, wrap the tank in a wet towel.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #4 
CeceB

It was crazy hot today.(tomorrow supposed to be worse) He does typically have a heater but I noticed the temp this morning. I took out the heater waited a few hours and it didn't help. That's when I did the water change for him.

shellieca- thank you. I didn't think about a bag of ice. I didn't want to remove the lid because I have a cat and a 2 year old. I figured taking it off is only asking for a problem.
CeceB is offline   Reply With Quote