betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 03:00 AM   #11 
Saphira101

Thank you! :)

But do you think he really has popeye? That bit confuses me. :/
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

From looking above my betta, your betta does not have popeye.. It just seems like they're either A. Cloudy (don't think so, his eyes are a little blue) or B. Scales Over Them. I think it's B, because usually popeye would expand the eye a little bit more and in the course of a week, the 'cloudiness' would've gotten bigger.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #13 
NickZac

If the eyes did not change in terms of protrusion with the Maracyn, then I am wrong and he does not have popeye. Maracyn treats that and exceptionally well at that as it's an ideal medication for most bacterial conditions...swimbladder as well.

Did the cloudiness go away with treatment and return when treatment was stopped or was it more consistent?

I dont know a ton about betta eye physiology but are they prone to cataracts like some other fish are? I've had a few clown loaches develop cataracts around 10-15 years of age the 10-12 inch size that developed them almost 8 years ago and they are still alive, kickin, and doing well even tho the cataracts are at a point that the fish are almost surely navigating through other senses...and they do it exceptionally well.
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:10 AM   #14 
Saphira101

The cloudiness never changed at all with the medication.

Only the edges of his eyes are really cloudy, and the amount of cloudiness fades as it nears the center of the eye. Here's a photo that kind of shows it:

Name:  Screen shot 2013-07-04 at 11.05.20 PM.png
Views: 24
Size:  223.5 KB

It's actually a photo of him that I took a while ago, right before he started getting really lethargic and I knew that he had a bacterial infection. He doesn't sit on the tank bottom anymore, but his eyes look the same in the photo as they do now.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote