Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #1 
spazz

Marineland Eclipse Hex 5 Gallon

Hello all,
I am fairly new to keeping fish. I successfully had a 55 gallon for a year a few years ago but had to sell it due to space restrictions.
I was cleaning out my closet attic and came across my 5 gallon hex. Is this too big or too small for Bettas?
I am new to the Betta community so I still have a lot of reading to do and I am sure I will have more questions.
Right now my tank is cycling so I have plenty of time.
spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. A 5 gallon is perfect for a betta. There will be plenty of room to add plants and a few decorations.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #3 
Rain Drop

I agree with DQ =D
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #4 
Kim

Perfect size :) I keep mine in 5-7.5 gallon tanks and they love them! They're large, but not overkill.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

5 gallons is great for a betta. He/she will love it!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #6 
Jupiter

Yep, 5 gallons is the perfect size for one! And if you really wanted two, you can split it in half. 2.5 is the reccomended minimum for bettas.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #7 
RoseyD

I recently put a 5 gallon hex together for my lancelot. And, he seems to really love it. I put his tank right beside the 12 gallon eclipse sorority so that he can watch over the little girls, and he spends a LOT of time watching them. :) I think he has a hard time deciding which of the little ones will be his girlfriend.

I really do think that the boys are lonely. I know that they don't like having company in their small tanks but, from watching how Lancelot reacts with the girls nearby, to how Gawain acts all by his lonesome in a 5 gallon in my bathroom... There's a huge difference in the boys who are able to socialize to ones who aren't.

Gawain sleeps alot. But, I know he doesn't take kindly to others sharing his tank. When he was given the 5 gallon there had been 2 tiny cardinal tetras in it - I had to remove the tetras because he went into attack mode on them.

Yesterday, I put together my first divided tank - a 15 gallon - and, besides keeping it dark for the first day (they were flaring too much that first day) - They were able to sleep in the floating plants last night.

Today, the lights are set to go on for two 4 hour segments - I really hope that those two boys will learn to accept each other in such close territory.

My plants in that tank do need light...
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:59 PM   #8 
neenjar

Welcome to the forums Spazz, a 5 gallon would be great! I keep both of mine in 5.5 gallon planted tanks. They are quite happy fish!
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 AM   #9 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Yup. Perfect size.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote