Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #1 
Herbert2013

Herbert

I just got Herbert 3 days ago, so I know he's still getting used to his new bowl, but I don't think he's eating. He'll grab it in his mouth and spit it out a few times before letting it fall to the bottom of his bowl.
When I got him I was feeding him Penn Plax Pro Balance Betta Food, but he never even touched it, so yesterday I got him some Betta Food. Since then I have taken the gravel out of his bowl.
Attached Images

Herbert2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #2 
Briz

It isn't unusual for a betta to not eat for a while after being moved to his new home. Some go for weeks! However, after a few days, if he's trying to eat (taking it in his mouth) but spitting it out, it sounds like he simply doesn't like the food or finds it too hard/big to eat. Once I found out by accident that my picky betta wasn't eating any pellets because he wanted flakes. All the rest of my bettas LOVE New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets. If you can get those or Omega One Betta Pellets, he will probably like it. You want to try to get these brands, not only because the bettas like them and they are small in size, but because the ingredients are some of the best quality for your fish. Most other brands use mostly fillers as the ingredients.
Briz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu

First welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of nice and knowledgeable people to help you.

Second, Herbert is gorgeous.

+1 Briz
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #4 
countyrd419

Wink

Hi, Herbert2013. Welcome to bettafish.com. This is the only site to go to for betta fish care. Bookmark it on your computer. You will find lots of information about anything for Herbert's needs. Just remember to keep up with water changes every other day and don't forget to test the water with a freshwater test kit from API -- this is the one most of us use. Also make sure that his bowl is heated. You can get some good ones from Petsmart or any other pet store near you.

Take care. Ask questions? I know I did when I first joined a few months ago.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote