Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

What plan would you use to transition multiple tanks to NPT's?

They 5 gallons for individual fish. Plus four 2 gallons. I was going to buy two extra tanks put the fish in bare bottom tanks with the silk plants they are using now. Set up the new tank and wait 4-5 days for the clouding to settle and reintroduce the fish. Clean the transition tanks and move to the the next two fish.

The Walstad book that says this is a fine way to do it. However, I am still very nervous doing it I don't want harm any fish. I can't really use their current tanks because they have the coated colored gravel in them. I will have to add soil and sand. I have about 10-12 five gallons to do. If you've been switching over many fish what did you do and how long did it take? Is my plan feasible or are their holes in it?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #2 
VJM

I have experienced any clouding when planting a new tank. Especially with dirt, stuff just grows. You might get a little algae if you aren't heavily planted, but nothing harmful.

I would just sift all the dirt, cup one fish, dirt and cap the tank, plant, fill, acclimate the fish, and reintroduce the fish. As long as you are transferring your filter over, and you keep an eye on water params, you should be fine.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #3 
Stone

Well,from now on I am going to do mine fishless for at least a week to let the water settle down the ammonia spikes can be a bit rough, I have never lost a fish due to it but I would rather not put a fish through it, plant it heavily and have tons of floaters, plus it will give the tank time to get a cycle going, and I have done my experimenting and unless the floramax/ eco complete tanks do a major turn around, I am going to do all my future tanks with soil of some type, my soil tanks kick the floaramax and eco completes tanks butts

Last edited by Stone; 07-05-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #4 
VJM

I just realized I meant to write "I have NOT experienced any cloudiness". And I was assuming you have a cycled filter and test kit.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #5 
jadaBlu

I have test kits and I do want to cycle the tank before adding the fish. Stone I went and bought filter sand. I am considering adding Floramax to a part of the substrate on a couple of small tanks but I am probably going to just use sands and soil. I am definitely going to use sand and soil for the sorority because I am concerned other substrates will be hard on the barbels of the cories I plan to add. The girls won't go in until every fish finishes quarantine in a few weeks so hopefully my plants will take off in the meantime.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #6 
VJM

If you use a filter from an already cycled tank, your tank will be cycled. You will lose some bb from the substrate and decorations, but you can always put them in stockings and put them in the tank until you have zero ammonia and nitrite readings. I would anticipate that to be immediately or within a few days.

I think the best answer is to keep the fish out and test every day. You will see if your particulars setup is throwing off ammonia.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

The 5 gallon have sponge filters so maybe I could remove the water in clean bucket and put the sponge filter while I add the new substrate. In some ways I wish the floramax on it's own would be fine then I could just change substates without tearing much down.