Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #1 
tngirl92

Safely Adding to a Still-Cycling Tank

My betta boy, Parli, is fully recovered from a cycling mistake I made last week. He has been floating in a 1.5 gallon Critter Keeper in the heated, cycling 10 gallon tank. He had some ammonia burns and lethargy issues from an ammonia spike. I have never done a fish-in cycle before, but this one is out of necessity because I have a rescue currently occupying his old 2.5 gallon and I was ready to upgrade Parli at that time, anyway. I have been doing daily water changes in the Critter Keeper.

The problem is that I'm going out of town this week on Wednesday and I'll be gone until Sunday. My mom has agreed to feed the fishies and do simple things (I'm home from college for the summer) but I do not know if she could handle cupping Parli, changing his water and adding the conditioner correctly, and reacclimating him without doing more harm than good. I would like to safely reintroduce Parli to the 10 gallon without harming him. It has been cycling for two weeks with the gravel, plants, decorations, and some water from his old tank. I can test with test strips, but I don't have a master kit. Is there any way to do this safely?

I have heard that SeaChem Prime will neutralize ammonia and other bad stuff in the water for 24 hours. Would it be feasible to show my mom how to do daily 25% changes on the big tank and add the SeaChem Prime for my peace of mind? I can go out and buy the Prime right now. She would not have to remove the fish to do a 25% change. Advice please! I do not want to lose Parli, he is my favorite buddy, but I can't leave him in the 1.5 gallon with no water changes for four days.

Thank you!
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually Prime detoxifies it to ammonium for aprox. 48 hours so what your mom can do is after two days, add a double dose of Prime and that will be totally fine for him. He'll be perfectly fine in a 1.5 without water changes for four days.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #3 
JellOh

Could you get another 1.5 gallon critter keeper? You could set up a second one in the tank with clean, conditioned water. That way your mother would only have to cup/net him and transfer him to the other tank.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #4 
tngirl92

Both of those are great ideas. Thank you!
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote