Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #1 
Wynn

Decor safty

Someone brought over a rubber water toy for a kid but it is pretty cute. so I want to add it to the tank. Is that safe? And if so any paticualar good way to clean it since I have no idea where it has been?
Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #2 
whatsupyall

Hmm... I clean everything related to aquarium with white distilled vinegar. You can try soaking it in vinegar for a bit.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #3 
Wynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupyall View Post
Hmm... I clean everything related to aquarium with white distilled vinegar. You can try soaking it in vinegar for a bit.
Is that the only safe way? and how long do you soak it?
I remembering hearing you could boil things thing that would help a rubber toy?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #4 
whatsupyall

Boiling rubber is going to melt it. If you only use hot water, that's okay, but I don't think that will sanitized as well. For vinegar, just use a sponge soaked with vinegar, and clean the toy, not really soaking. I suppose you can soak it in plain water for a day or two if that is the only option you have. You can also use diluted bleach, not sure the ratio, but you would have to clean it thoroughly and make sure to soak it again in water to leech out all bleach. I guess smelling it for chlorine would be the best way to test if it has leeched out completely. This is just a personal opinion of how I would do it. However you choose to do it, eventually, partial water change will clean it up in time. It is important thing is to consider if the toy itself leeches paint gradually over time. If this is the case, no cleaning will be sufficient for it to be a safe aquarium toy. If not, probably would be fine.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #5 
Wynn

Quote:
Boiling rubber is going to melt it. If you only use hot water, that's okay, but I don't think that will sanitized as well. For vinegar, just use a sponge soaked with vinegar, and clean the toy, not really soaking. I suppose you can soak it in plain water for a day or two if that is the only option you have. You can also use diluted bleach, not sure the ratio, but you would have to clean it thoroughly and make sure to soak it again in water to leech out all bleach. I guess smelling it for chlorine would be the best way to test if it has leeched out completely. This is just a personal opinion of how I would do it. However you choose to do it, eventually, partial water change will clean it up in time. It is important thing is to consider if the toy itself leeches paint gradually over time. If this is the case, no cleaning will be sufficient for it to be a safe aquarium toy. If not, probably would be fine.
How would I test if it is leeching paint?
If it isn't leeching paint then I could wash it with vinegar(Any paticular type or just what I could get at a grocery store?)
So after I wash it with vingar should I then soak it in water to allow it to leech any of the remaining vingar?
Old 07-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #6 
whatsupyall

Yes, grocery store 'white distilled vinegar'. It is good to soak it back to water afterwards. If the toy appears to remain the same color, or if the water is not coloring in any way, then yeah, it's probably safe to assume you can use it.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #7 
Wynn

Quote:
Yes, grocery store 'white distilled vinegar'. It is good to soak it back to water afterwards. If the toy appears to remain the same color, or if the water is not coloring in any way, then yeah, it's probably safe to assume you can use it.
If the toy doesn't change color after washign it? Or if I soak it in plan water for a while and the water/ it doesn't change color it is safe to assume it is good?
Old 07-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #8 
whatsupyall

Yes, I'm just using my judgement and opinion. Take this advice with a grain of salt okay. :)
Old 07-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #9 
Wynn

Quote:
Yes, I'm just using my judgement and opinion. Take this advice with a grain of salt okay. :)
lol I ment should I soak it before washing it to see if it changes colors or watch for that when washing it? lol
Also thanks for the advice
Old 07-06-2013, 02:19 AM   #10 
whatsupyall

Wash with vinegar, then soak it with water.