Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #1 
Nuij

New food made my fish sick...

So, went out to get better food for Vincent... Saw omega, saw the bigger container, had a derp moment and thought 'oh, more food is good, I'll just grab that one!'

Got home, and it was flakes instead of pellets. I figured, well, would still be better than the filler full pellets he had before, so thought I'd try them out. He seemed... decidedly unenthused, but halfheartedly nibbled...
And proceeded to get bloated and lethargic, and stop eating them entirely. Returned the flakes, got pellets instead, and he likes those a lot better, but he still looks kinda bloaty, and has developed a case of ick, I'm guessing from the stress.

Tried a round of AP Quick Cure for the ich, and it did nothing. Changed the water, am slowly increasing the heater temp, and have some AQ salt predisolving as I type. Any suggestions? It's my first round of illness with him, and I want to be sure I'm doing everything I can to make sure he gets back to his sassy self asap. Any suggestions on how I can handle the bloat while trying to handle the ick at the same time?

Looks like Troublemaker the shrimp is staying in QT for a while yet...
Nuij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #2 
shellieca

Have you fasted him for 2-3 days? If not, I would start with that to help with the bloat issue. I would not at this point add the aq salt because that may exacerbate the bloating. Epsom salt would be better as it is a laxative & would clean him out which would or should alleviate the bloat. I would start with just the heat & good cleaning at least every other day, once he's done fasting & the bloat seems to be under control then you can do aq salt if you feel you need to.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #3 
Nuij

Did a fast between my last attempt with the flakes and getting him the pellets... was 2-3 days, but he stayed a bit swollen in the belly. I don't have any ES at the moment... Having a hard time finding the unscented additiveless stuff at Walmart when I'm looking for it, and have transportation issues so can't really get elsewhere that would have it.

I'll dump the dissolved salt down the drain for now, then, and check again tonight... see if I have better luck. If I can't find that, I do have daphnia in the freezer, and I've heard those work as a laxative... should I give him a bit of that as a feeding?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #4 
shellieca

Hmmm, have you seen any poo from him? How long has he been bloated? Can you post a pic? As for the ES, wal-mart should have them in the first aide area & I know most drug stores/pharmacy/grocery stores carry it as well to give you some more options once you're able to get to a store. I would try the daphnia definitely.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #5 
Nuij

He's definitely pooing... He did so at one point while I was watching.

He's not a camera friendly little bugger... has a tendency to start swimming away in that brief period between me hitting the button and the photo actually being taken, resulting in frame after frame of red blur. I can try and see if I can get anything that would turn out from the right angle.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #6 
shellieca

LOL. Yeah that's pretty typical Betta behavior. If he's pooing then he's obviously not constipated which is usually the 1st cause of looking bloated.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #7 
Nuij

Well, the bloating seems to have gone away... he looks back to normal, aside from the ick spots. I did manage to finally locate some ES... stupid walmart, hiding things in weird places that make no sense...

Anyway, I'm increasing the temp in his tank to help with the ich, and plan to start trying the AQ Salt treatment tomorrow after I get home from work. Anything I should know or keep an eye out for with this? Like I said before, this is the first time he's actually had anything wrong with him, surprisingly enough... I don't want to do it wrong.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #8 
shellieca

Glad the bloating has gone down. With the Aq salt its advised not to use it for more than 14 days & make sure its completely dissolved before you add it to the tank, condition the water you dissolve it in or use tank water. Were you able to raise the temp to 86F?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #9 
Nuij

Alright, temp was kept up, salt was pre-dissolved and such, and it's been roughly eight days. I see no ick spots on my fish. Would it be a good time to start clearing the salt from my tank, or should I wait a bit longer? I'm in a little bit of a hurry to get this taken care of, so I can get my poor shrimp out of quarantine and into the main tank... He's been in the little one for a good while, and it's been tough to keep levels right in such a tiny one. Still, I'd rather not risk one or both getting sick again if it can be helped. Advice?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #10 
shellieca

You could clear the salt out but I would keep the temp at 86F for a bit longer. How long has it been since you've seen a spot?