Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #1 
Tabby216

Best Filter?

My 10 gallon set came with a terrible filter after a few months of having it, it's now sucking in water up and down and annoying sounds are coming from it. It's not making any currents in the water too...maybe not even filtering.

I am going to be getting a new one so anyone have any tips for me on a awesome internal filter?
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #2 
Polkadot

I have this filter in all my boys tanks (they came with the tanks) and they are really great.They are very quiet and easy to clean,plus they don't take up much room inside the tank.I have found them to be fantastic.

http://www.livefish.com.au/accessori...0-200-lph.html
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #3 
Tabby216

Thank you for responding. But I don't think that one can hold the cartridge bag that I have. I want to throw away the filter but keep the dirty cartridge bag. I don't want to risk losing my bacterial colonies >_<
Here is a picture of the filter I have now
Old 07-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #4 
Polkadot

That's ok.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #5 
skipeople

Aquaclear 20

I know you want to keep the bacteria, but I use an Aquaclear 20 for my tank and it works well. It is fairly quiet, you can adjust the flow, it is easy to maintain, and it doesn't require filters -- it uses sponges and biomax. Could you maybe add biomaax to your current filter to collect the good bacteria and then transfer that?
skipeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Aquaclear a are my favorite. You could probably put the cartridge in the aquaclear along with biomax and a sponge, but you may experience a "mini cycle".
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #7 
Tabby216

If I do that how long will the mini cycle last?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

I have various filters - Tetra internal filters, sponge filters and aqueon quiteflow filters. They all seem to work alright and are quiet.

If you have an internal filter - maybe the cartrisge would work with a Tetra internal filter? http://www.tetra-fish.com/Products/a...r-filters.aspx

Would it work to eep the bag in the tank so that the bacteria could seed a new filter? or does the old media have to be in physical contact with the new media?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #9 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby216 View Post
Thank you for responding. But I don't think that one can hold the cartridge bag that I have. I want to throw away the filter but keep the dirty cartridge bag. I don't want to risk losing my bacterial colonies >_<
Here is a picture of the filter I have now
You can always take a pair of scissors to the old cartridge to make it fit....

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #10 
Tabby216

The cartridge bag is designed in a way that you cannot cut through the plastic linings of it. Its a funny looking bag I cannot open or close it anyway because of its design. Tetra bags on the other hand can be cut to fit. I think putting the bags next to eachother would work better than just letting it sit in the water plus the fish might nip at it and ruin it