Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #1 
skipeople

Help with Split Tank

I may be acquiring another male Betta from someone who doesn't want him anymore. I only have my ten gallon tank with my male, Apache. It is okay to split a ten gallon? I worry the fish won't have enough of their own space to move around.

If I do split it, won't they still be able to see each other or i there a specific type of divider that I need? Do I need a second filter? I've never had a split tank, so if someone could just explain how to set it up and how it works.

Thanks
skipeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

haha, my 10 is split 3 ways! Don't worry splitting once still gives them 5 gallons to swim in! They'll both love it ^_^

As for filter, nope you can just use on filter! mine is baffled with a soda bottle piece so it actually flows out the sides so it circulates through the dividers. And then the heater is right on the side of it so it circulates the heat throughout the tank as well.

For dividers, there's actually DIY dividers you can do yourself: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/ which are pretty nifty. I just use the plastic mesh and make it a tight fight and I haven't had any problems with it! On my Lee's divider I bought from Ebay I had to double the mesh so that they couldn't see each other well so you can do that and it will make it easier on them. They will flare for the first two weeks or so but don't worry, they'll get over it soon and then won't care about each other

Here's a link to my filter baffle if you want to see how that sort of works: http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/li...ilter%20Baffle

And here's what the actual tank looks like. I do have a small internal filter on the leftmost side facing in but if it's only divided once, it's not necessary.
You can see I have Lee's divider which is the blue one and then just the plastic mesh with no silicone or anything holding it in besides force it's been like that a good 3 months now with no problems.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #3 
skipeople

Okay! I felt bad about cutting the swim area in half haha. I was originally going to make it a planted community tank, but the lady I pet sit for doesn't want her betta cause he's in a bowl and she is sick of changing the water all the time.

Thanks for the DIY mesh, that should save me a buck or two. I used half of a red solo cup on my filter to make it quieter, but thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: How do you clean a split tank? Mine just has gravel and two plastic plants, so I use a gravel vac. I want to plant it though.

Last edited by skipeople; 07-05-2013 at 10:14 PM.
skipeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Np! I find that 10 gallons are difficult to make communities anyway just because there isn't enough space for a shoal of fish to swim. Microrasboras are nice but they can still get nippy with a Betta if they don't have enough fish in their shoal or not enough space to move you know? So I think splitting it would be a better option anyway besides, you're giving a very deserving boy a whole 5 gallons where he's probably got a gallon right now? I'm sure both are going to be super happy!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #5 
TheOnlyCanvas

I have a 20 gallon divided, and am going to split a 5 gallon soon. For cleaning I use a gravel vacuum. It's so much easier!
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yes, didn't see the edit there. Yup just gravel vac and when you want to switch sides just really quickly hop over the divider with the siphon and it should continue siphoning after a second. That's what I do