Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #21 
RoseyD

As a fertilizer, the soil is necessary in the specific method tank that I 'do'.

There are plenty of people who don't use soil, but to do so you will have to add a regular liquid fertilizer to your tank to keep the plants growing. That 'non-soil' method isn't one I've tried.

I strive for low tech, even though some of my tanks don't agree with me - (I bought the wrong lights for one of them...)
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #22 
misstephaniexxx

where can we get this soil? like a regular potting soil or is there a certain type of soil?
misstephaniexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #23 
RoseyD

I use Miracle Grow Organic Choice. Home Depot sells it ... a big bag will do 2 tanks and a couple of replantings of house plants...
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #24 
giypsy

MissSteph:
I found a product called Flourite (black). It is a stable clay based gravel and will last the life of the aquarium and beyond. I bought a 15lb bag for $20 U.S. I asked Fish-guy at my store if the soil was necessary, he said not with this product. It is made especially for aqua-scaping. It was a little pricey but amortized over the life of an aquarium and beyond, not so much.

For my 5g tank, (17.5"x9.5") 1 bag gives at least 5" substrate; I'm cutting down to 3". Here is a link to a distributor who has provided a calculator at the bottom of the page: http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../Flourite.html

Last edited by giypsy; 09-25-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #25 
dr2b

I do the non-soil method of plant keeping. I use Kent's Pro-Plant liquid fertilizer though. I love my planted tank - and in all honesty this is my first planted tank. It was a bit challenging at first until I found out the root of my problem was an iron deficiency. Once I got that taken care of the plants took off. I wouldn't have made it through without Neenjar's help though. He probably saw my name in his inbox and thought "oh no not again" lol.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #26 
giypsy

Today was water change day. I woke up to find FredFish had root pruned all my watersprite for me, grrrrr. Not a single plant had roots. I noticed him nosing those plants when I put them in yesterday but could not catch him actually nipping them. I also noticed he spent alot of time around the back of the bowl where the Java roots are. I turned the bowl on it's lazy susan to see what he was up to. Again could not catch him actually nipping. I removed the little colony of watersprite into the 5g I am cycling.

Another oddity which may be due to it being a bowl and not straight sides. FredFish really needed to be provoked before he would flare at the mirror. I did the mirror test to observe behavior; checking for all the normal betta behavior. It seems FredFish is difficult to provoke. However, he is pretty sensitive to ambient sound, if I cough or sneeze, he startles. I may have to rename him "berdache".

Anyone have similar experiences?
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote