Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #11 
RoseyD

Ok, I thought that any full different colored facial coloring was a mask...

So, example - my Viola - pretty bright blue girl with black face... the translation given means - she doesn't have a mask?

I have a lot of fish that have different colored faces. Viola's black, Glory's is grey. King Richard - black... Lancelot has some sort of half 'colored' face going on...

back to breeding genetics question - the example I posed - Cellophane VT matched with iridescent white DT - since most of the colors are recessive, and DT as well ... would this mean that there'd be no fry? or only VT tails would breed through? would all the fry be 'recessive' white/ cello mixed?

Honestly, I'm feeling the urge to test this... I may need to get myself another tank.

How long can fry be kept in 'one' tank? and are they always sellable so I can get rid of them?
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

DT is recessive so the first bacth would have all VT fish. If you inbreed the next generation would have 50% DTs.

Not sure about the color. Maybe a more white tinted cello? Fry can be kept in one tank as long as they get along. I reccomend you get a 20 gallon tub, since they're cheap and only a little bit bigger than ten gallons.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #13 
andakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
DT is recessive so the first bacth would have all VT fish. If you inbreed the next generation would have 50% DTs.

Not sure about the color. Maybe a more white tinted cello? Fry can be kept in one tank as long as they get along. I reccomend you get a 20 gallon tub, since they're cheap and only a little bit bigger than ten gallons.

if DT is a recessive trait then believe the second generation will yield 25%, not 50%.
andakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #14 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by andakin View Post
if DT is a recessive trait then believe the second generation will yield 25%, not 50%.
Ooops. My mistake. You're right :P
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #15 
RoseyD

hmmm.... and what about white dt with yellow VT? ... is yellow considered the more dominant color?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #16 
RoseyD

I am considering ... since Arthur died last weekend - I could attempt moving Richard into the 30 gallon - and, the girls out of the 20g long into the 20g high with the otos/cories...

That would give me an open 20g long - that I could turn into a breeding tank - then, remove the parents and keep the fry in there...

But that tank is set up as a planted tank so I will really have to decide whether to 'break it down' or leave it planted and more natural for them all... hmmmmm....

not that I'm even settled on who to attempt breeding...
Old 09-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Another potential breeder! YAY! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #18 
iheartmyfishies

Yay for betta babies! I would never be able do breed. I just wouldn't be able to keep up with the fry's demands. (Much less have the money or time)
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote