Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #31 
kvw1988

Thanks! I'm really excited to get to work on decorating it! I think you're right about Ash being a delta, his tail is fanning out more and more. If he'd sit still for two seconds I could get a decent picture of it so you could see lol.
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #32 
kvw1988

Since its 4th of July I really need to get a white one, then I'd have red white and blue lol
Old 07-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #33 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha, yeah in my sorority I have red, white and blue primarily XD I'm not patriotic, I swear! lol j/k
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #34 
kvw1988

1 Month!!

Just goes to show what good clean warm water, good food, water changes, and love can get ya. This is the same little guy who I didn't think would make it a week, he's still here growing up, with more personality than you would ever except from someone so small.

He used to be so good at having his picture taken, now he won't sit still.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #35 
BettaLover1313

Both your boys are adorable, and it's been interesting to watch your little guy develop and grow into a handsome betta!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #36 
kvw1988

Aww thank you :) They really do make great pets.Guillermo used to be really shy but over the past few months he's really come out of his shell, I've even been able to teach him how to eat off my finger, and follow my finger around the glass (when he feels like it).

And Ash it only took him a day to settle in and his personality came out. I swear that fish never sits still, thus the poor quality of his more recent pictures lol.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #37 
kvw1988

Max

I got Ash a new brother, Max. He was pretty sick when I got him but he gave me the "look" so after some thought he came home with me. He currently is in a 1 gallon critter keeper getting treatment with AQ salt and it seems to be helping him quite a bit.

I didn't use a flash for his pictures, but when I do his body is blue and his fins are red so maybe that's how he'll look when he is better.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #38 
kvw1988

Some Updates

Well unfortunately Max didn't make it, he put up a good fight but he was just too sick. Swim in peace Max, you'll always be loved and never forgotten.

Onto the divided tank... Almost immediately after I posted that I was going to start working on it because I wasn't moving I found out I will in fact be moving (oh apartment complexes disorganized much?) So I halted that project. I'm kinda glad I did too. Ash and Guillermo are next to eachother on my dresser so they can see eachother. This has been the set up since I got Ash, almost two months ago. I figured this would be a good set up so they could get used to eachother thinking they would calm down eventually. Well Guillermo hasn't. Turns out he's a pretty aggressive betta. There was one day he charged the glass so hard at Ash that I heard him hit it. And the past couple days he's been so preoccupied with Ash that he's been ignoring me feeding him. Whenever I'm sitting on my bed watching them Ash is always in the corner closest to Guillermo, because it's closest to me. I ended up putting a piece of paper back between them. I don't think the divided tank is going to work out. If anything happened to either of them I'd be heartbroken so I think I'm going to hold off on that project.

The good news is though is my bedroom in my new apartment is bigger and I'll have an extra end table and the stand the 20 gallon is on so I think that they'll each get there own little spot to hang out. Luckily my Dad said I could keep the 20 gallon at his house while I'm not using it. So someday it'll be a good home for some lucky fish, but not these two dummies lol.

I guess since this is journal for Ash growing up that I should update about him. Well he's reached that special age where he doesn't sit still for quality pictures anymore. Everytime he sees me he gets so excited he won't sit still. He kinda reminds me of a puppy, truthfully. But he's also reached that age where he really isn't changing all that much, he's still growing well that's obvious to me, but he just looks like the same fish only bigger.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #39 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Aww, sorry to hear about Max!! may he swim in peace!

As for Guillermo, some Betta's are just too aggressive. However, there are things you can do to still make a split tank. I double up on my mesh when a betta is too aggressive on one side so they can't see each other as much. I have it so that I'm basically moving one of the mesh off just a tad so that most of the holes in it are covered up, water still flows through so that's not too much a problem but it helps because they won't be able to see each other as much as thus not being so preoccupied with each other. so that's something you can do.

I also had a Lee's Divider for the 10 gallon so that's nice and then I siliconed another piece of mesh on one side and now Mercury can't see anyone because he's one of my more aggressive boys as well

That's cute about Ash, yeah my boy's recently got over that a little more. They went through two spurts of being "Sir Zoomsalot's" first when they were about 3-4 weeks old in my care and then again at 7-8 weeks old so it seems to be a monthly thing for my boys haha. Hopefully you can get some pictures soon though, I'd love to see how he's turning out!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #40 
kvw1988

I'll have to try that with the mesh, that's a good idea. I do have some plants from Petco I'm going to put along the divider on both sides. I was also going to have the water lowered about 2.5 inches. I figure if Guillermo's a veiltail that's a lot of fin to try to jump that far, and if Ash does grow up to be a delta he won't be able to do it either. I'll probably move Guillermo in when I get settled but I think I'll give Ash a few more months to grow up a little more before he goes in, that way in case anything does happen it's a fairer fight, right now he's so little he could get really hurt really easily.