Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #1 
Dorthy

Smile changing water - questions

Hi everyone,
I am fairly new to Bettas (fish in general) and I have a couple of questions about changing the water....
We have out little boy betta in a 1.5 gallon fish bowl. This is only the second time I have changed his water since we bought him a month ago.
Here are my questions:

1. I noticed each time I change the water, it looks less clean (more of a build up of "stuff")
I empty about 75% of the water out them fill with clean water. This is leading me to believe I really need a filter, and larger "home" for him.
Is this true?

2. If we do get a regular tank with a filter, etc. would I need to fill it completely with frest water or add a little of the water from his bowl now?
(I hope I'm not being confusing) I just wondered if it would be a total shock to him?

3. I currently have a live plant in his bowl with small pebbles on the bottom. Are live plants good for them? Also, is it ok to use sand?

Thank you all so much for an advise you can give me. Being a new Betta Mom, I don't want to do anything wrong.

Dorthy
ps. We already want more so I'm trying to learn all I can.
Dorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #2 
AlexXx

Alright well....

I would suggest changing the water AT LEAST once a week, not twice a month....
Go with every 5-7 days, depending on how much you feed him. I only feed mine 2 pellets a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. I change my vases every 5-7 days.

If you want a bigger tanks with filter, heater and stuff... id go with about a 5 or so, i donno if id want to filter a 2.5 lol, its just to easy to clean that big of a tank.

I would suggest cycling a tank 5+.

For water changing what i do is: Get a net, grab the fish and put him in a solo cup of a little water from the same bowl hes in. After that put all the rocks and plant or w/e in the sink, hose it off with HOT water. I then clean out the inside of the bowl with a sponge, to get all the residue and protein off the inside. No soap, JUST HOT WATER. After that i put water regular cold water in it with all the decor, and put the cup with him in the top of the water so the water acclimatizes, then pour the cup in when you can touch your finger to each and they seem equal temp. His water will stay clean :) All my betta are very happy and ive always done this.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #3 
Dorthy

Thank you so much Alexx!!! I will start cleaning the bowl more often. I am interested in your vases. I started out thinking I wanted a betta in a vase but some people say it's better to stay away from that....
Could you tell me a little about your vases - meaning like is it just a large vase with rocks or marbles at the bottom? Then I assume you have a plant in there as well? I'd love to see some pics of your babies....do you have them posted on the site?

Thank you again for all of the helpful information. Like I said, I am new to this but love it already.
Have you ever ordered your betta off line? I bought ours at Petsmart. I've been looking for a green one but can't seem to find them except on line (and they are blueish-green not "true green") I know they are rare but they are so pretty.
Dorthy is offline   Reply With Quote