Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #1 
BettaLover1313

Question Ick?

I noticed Dragoon has a couple white spots on him, and today I noticed that Merlin has one on his head? Is this ick starting to develop or is it something else? Both boys are fine, still flaring and moving around like they normally do.

I am going to look at adjustable heaters tonight (one I currently have isn't adjustable) but I just wanted to make sure if it is ick or not before I start doing any treatments.

Sorry, no pics. The spots are really small and my camera isn't able to capture them.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Does it look like you salted them? Ick should look like you salted them.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #3 
BettaLover1313

No, not like they've been salted. Dragoon has about two white dots, one of each side, and they're very small. Merlin now has a white dot on his head, also very small. They still eat their food, flare, and swim about normally though.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #4 
NickZac

Ich looks like this

It will start as a few spots, and then quickly multiply and quickly go from one or two to more fish. Behavior changes and locomotion changes are also common.

Sometimes white spots can also come from physical damage and heater burn, but without pictures no one can say what it is. Keep a close eye for behavior changes or changes in the spots such as them increasing in size, quantity, or the fish behaving differently.
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Good picture NickZac.

See how it looks like salt. Even in the beginning it looks like salt (even if it's just a few spots). Is that what you see? Or are the spots bigger?
Old 07-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #6 
BettaLover1313

I'm not really sure. I just went to look back at my boys to double-check, and the two white spots on Dragoon look really small, and when I looked at Merlin I couldn't see the white spot on his head, so I think it might have been a trick of the light. I shall keep an eye on both of my boys all the same and if it really seems to be spreading, I'll start treating them for Ick.

NickZac-Thank you for the picture, I know I'll be referencing it often as I keep an eye on my boys.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
I'm not really sure. I just went to look back at my boys to double-check, and the two white spots on Dragoon look really small, and when I looked at Merlin I couldn't see the white spot on his head, so I think it might have been a trick of the light. I shall keep an eye on both of my boys all the same and if it really seems to be spreading, I'll start treating them for Ick.

NickZac-Thank you for the picture, I know I'll be referencing it often as I keep an eye on my boys.
I've noticed on DS before when some scales hit the light they look like they may have ick, but in fact it is just a trick of the light. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #8 
BettaLover1313

NeptunesMom-It may be that too! Like I said, I shall be keeping an eye on both my boys for awhile, and it certainly won't hurt to get them an adjustable heater just in case. Thank you for your help!
Old 07-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #9 
NickZac

Call me biased.

If the tank is over 5 gallons, the only heater you should look at is the Ebo Jager. They aren't cheap and they aren't small, but they are the best by a landslide. When it comes to the ability to maintain accurate temp, have a design that reduces heater burn, provide decades of function, and not suffer from all of the issues most other heaters have, it is the best of the best. Fluval makes a few good ones for twice the price (and a few terrible ones), but the Ebo Jager is where it's at. Much like an AquaClear or a good canister, it is an investment in health and they do better than most heaters costing 2-3 times as much.

I've used the Rena, multiple Fluvals, Marineland Visitherm/Stealth Visitherm, Aqueon, Tetra, Hydor, and other models and nothing has anywhere near the performance and quality control. When temps flux, it stresses fish. Some heaters are as crappy as +/- 3 or more degrees. The Ebo Jagers are under +/- 1 in most cases and are the only heater I've ever seen reliably utilize shut-off circuitry in a SHTF situation (I've had others including VisiTherms take tanks to almost 100 degrees when thermostats failed). My Jagers when mounted next to the intake piping of a filter kept tanks within a margin of less than +/- .5 degree flux...this does make a major difference with health.

http://www.marineandreef.com/Eheim_E...ters_s/255.htm

(or check the Amazon review and compare it to every other model to see the difference: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ds=ebo%20jager )
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote