Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #1 
BunnyTheBetta

Exclamation Sick Betta and don't know what the problem is!

Hi everyone. I have a betta fish who I've had for about 11 months. When I first got him I was very misinformed by the pet shop and had him in a tiny bowl.

He one day turned brown and I figured out it was from being too cold so I got him a nice large tank with a few plants and 2 apple snails. I got this tank a few weeks ago and he's been great. Blowing bubbles, eating and very active.

But last night I suddenly noticed he had a white patch by his side fin and he wasn't using that fin any more. Now it has turned black/brown and the fin looks ripped. I'm not sure if it is velvet or body rot or something else. Please help!

My parents bought the tank and put him in it while I was away and I'm not sure if they added any rock salt. I changed water and added some now, do you think this will help?
Attached Images

BunnyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #2 
shellieca

Welcome. How big is his new tank & are your running a filter on it? How often have you been doing water changes? How big are the water changes? Are you using a water conditioner, which one? Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates? Aq salt can be useful for some things but harmful if used for too long.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #3 
BunnyTheBetta

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply.

I just interrogated my mother about how she changed the water when she put him in the new tank. Turns out she didn't put any chlorine neutralizer in

I told her how to do everything but she forgot. About to do a complete water change and hopefully it will revive him.
BunnyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #4 
shellieca

I hope its as simple as that.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #5 
NickZac

A good present would be a book on the nitrogen cycle. Many people do complete 100% tank cleanings and do not realize that's what kills their fish.

One of my favorites is this...
http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Guide-F...ds=fish+health

Simply to read, not overly wordy, and it covers the pillars to allow anyone to become a master of fishkeeping. Salt not necessary :)
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body rot, brown, sick, velvet