Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #11 
snowflake311

"I only have about a minute or two to get what I can (for a 30-40% wc) or else I'd be doing a 90-100% every week, which is a no-no in a cycled tank, right?"

This is not true. I do weekly 80% or more wc on all my tanks ranging from 5gal to 100gal. Never have a problem and have been doing this for 5years. You will have a mini cycle if you do a 90% wc and change your filter media at the same time. I did this once and it was not fun but it took 2 days to fix its self. If you have a mini cycle with a Bactria bloom like I did adding extra surface movement so your water have more o2 is the key to fixing the problem.

I say do a 80% or 50% just don't touch your filter when you do a large wc.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #12 
jaysee
Reference Team

I do 80% changes as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake311 View Post
You will have a mini cycle if you do a 90% wc and change your filter media at the same time.
Said mini cycle has nothing to do with the water change, and is a direct result of changing the filter media. One would get the same result from doing a 10% water change and changing out the filter media.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #13 
Viva

My 29 gallon has a sand cap you just need to keep the vacuum an inch or two above the sand so you don't suck too much up. The bottom of your tank does.t need to be immaculate and the plants enjoy the decaying bits on there anyways. Actually a few days ago I took my corydora catfish out of my ten gallon and really cleaned the gravel good and now all my cryptocoryne plants are melting and even my salvinia is dying off. I'm debating on getting more corydoras to put in there again because they stir the tank's bottom up really well.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #14 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I do 80% changes as well.

Said mini cycle has nothing to do with the water change, and is a direct result of changing the filter media. One would get the same result from doing a 10% water change and changing out the filter media.
+1,000,000

There is so little bacteria in the water column that changing any amount out does no harm to the cycle. If you let the tank, substrate and decor dry for about 24 hours then you will have a cycle issue. Taking the media out and that's worse.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #15 
Tikibirds

My 20 gallon has some heavy duty poopers in it - 2 clown plecos, 4 or so apple snails and some trapdoor snails, so I tend to do larger changes then most people. Even if you did a 100% water change, your cycle should be fine as long as you are not scrubbing the walls and washing the decor or filter media in tap water. I stuffed my filter with aquarium sponge so allI do is rinse it out every week (for this tank) in old tank water and then replace the sponge back into the filter. If you use the cartridges, you may get mini cycles if you toss them out every month. Its best to swish on old tank water and reuse untill it falls apart or you need to have carbon. Carbon will loose its power after a month or so.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #16 
VegasShimmer

Thanks everyone! Great information and advice. It helps me figure if I'm doing things correctly or at least for the best health of my fish. :)
VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #17 
bettaluver14

Talking

in my 10gal I do a 30-40% water change a week along with a gravel vacuum getting more water out. there is always floating debris that end up in the water after vacuuming my tank but my filter is so amazing in 5 minutes the water is crystal clear again
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote