Following our poor Betta (Kiwi) encounter with his ornamental castle (getting stuck in a small window, wearing off several portions of fins in the process) we found what we thought
was a safe ornament for Kiwi to hide, play, and chill out.
When we got the new ornament home, we discovered, on closer inspection, that there were hidden areas that were accessible to Kiwi which could also cause him to become trapped. It's hard to tell from the photo but there are some really tight areas that Kiwi could get wedged into and a couple of areas are sharp, as well!
We're going to use aquarium safe clear silicone to fill in those areas that have us concerned before placing the new ornament into Kiwi's "bedroom"
We've had one close call with Kiwi. We don't want another one because we might not be so fortunate next time.