Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #1 
safisher

Check aquarium ornaments thoroughly!!!!

Following our poor Betta (Kiwi) encounter with his ornamental castle (getting stuck in a small window, wearing off several portions of fins in the process) we found what we thought was a safe ornament for Kiwi to hide, play, and chill out.

When we got the new ornament home, we discovered, on closer inspection, that there were hidden areas that were accessible to Kiwi which could also cause him to become trapped. It's hard to tell from the photo but there are some really tight areas that Kiwi could get wedged into and a couple of areas are sharp, as well!

We're going to use aquarium safe clear silicone to fill in those areas that have us concerned before placing the new ornament into Kiwi's "bedroom"

We've had one close call with Kiwi. We don't want another one because we might not be so fortunate next time.
Attached Images

safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #2 
Viva

Same thing happened to me with me delta tail male. He was stuck in that common orange cave ornament on the left there's a very small swim-through that he obviously couldnt swim through. I found him in the morning and he swam free when I picked it up. He had missing scales all on his head and face because that's where he was stuck...poor guy. Silicone sealant is a real life saver though! I love it!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #3 
LittleDeer

I'm not find of most decorations for this reason. I opt to use plants, pots and bridges (and the large very old skull Ben sleeps in) as decorations because I know my babies won't get stuck in them. I've also recently had an issue with an ornament recently that somehow had something either in the paint or plastic that leeched into my water and I woke up to a burning plastic smell, and the water in my girl Alice's tank was all oily looking and smelled awful. I immediately removed (and threw out) the ornament and did a complete water change. She's so lucky she survived. She had that thing in her tank for about 36 hours before I noticed the awful smell and oily substance. She's doing just fine now, though. But I've lost trust in plastic ornaments. It was labelled as wing for aquariums too. It was a Balinese Lantern from Petsmart. I should have been wary of it since it was also "on sale" for $2 off the original price. I think I'll stick to stone and ceramic decorations. I haven't had issues with any of my fake plants though. Knock on wood.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #4 
safisher

I totally agree about the onaments. We decided NOT to mess with the "colorful" ornament.....at least for now. In the interim, we have purchased a pink ceramic "flower ball" with two LARGE openings that he can easily swim through. He was wary at first, but after a couple of days, we found him "snoozing" there.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote