Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #1 
hannguyen

External parasite?

Yesterday I bought an African Dwarf Frog from Petsmart and put him in my betta tank. They seem to get along fine. This afternoon I noticed an orange long thing attach to my betta underneath his head (I attached the youtube video). Could this be parasite? and how to treat it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ml9Wv5thDg
hannguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Looks like a long poop to me!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #3 
hannguyen

it is yellow though :(
Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They can be yellow, depends on what you feed him. Betta's poop and shapes usually look like what they've eaten. So if you feed Bloodworms they'll come out yellow-ish with some black in it and more string like where if you feed brown pellets it's going to come out brown and rather curly and solid is all. There was one Betta a while back that had eaten some roots off a plant and we didn't know about it and thought he had internal parasites because he kept pooping white but we found he was just eating the white roots off an Anubias lol

Just keep an eye out and if it starts to turn more white/clear and much more stringy then I'd be concerned but for now it doesn't look like anything bad. I mean, there's always a possibility that the frog could have introduced something as well, but it just doesn't look bad at the moment.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #5 
hannguyen

Sounds good...It's been hanging on him for a while...
Old 07-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah sometimes they don't come out right away, give him the night and if it's still in there by morning then I'd pronounce something to be wrong. If you can get frozen or freeze-dried Daphnia, it works as a laxative and will help push out any internal parasites he may have. Do frequent water changes to help take out any parasites that might be lurking in the water. I'd do at least 25% every other day if you can for now to keep him healthy
Old 07-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #7 
hannguyen

I do 50% every week. I have a 5 gal tank :) Thank you! I thought Prince brought parasite to the tank but I guess not!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

As I said, it still could be the frogs fault and that he did bring parasites to the tank, but it could also not. But yeah, definitely try to do 25-50% every other day on the tank to keep it clean and fresh for your boy and then the daphnia for a laxative to get rid of any parasites he may have in there.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #9 
hannguyen

Sounds good! Thank you!