Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #1 
PureAwesome

Exclamation Betta May be SICK!! Please HELP

Lately my betta has been a little less active (but has never been very active) and has what appears to be missing scales ( I will try and post a picture) also the scales seemed to be a little raised or more defined and his gills are quite red.

Please help and give advise as I am new to this unsure. I did a whole water change today and thoroughly cleaned the tank because many snails all of a sudden appeared.

Thanks

Last edited by PureAwesome; 07-07-2013 at 10:50 AM.
PureAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

What sized tank & how long has it been set up? What is your normal water change schedule? When you look down on him from the top do all of his scales stick out like a pine cone? Is his tank heated? Are you running a filter? Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates? Sorry for all of the questions but we need more info to be able to help.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #3 
PureAwesome

it is a 9 L (2.4 gallon) tank with a heater and filter and I usually clean it once a week. I haven't tested the water as I ran out of stuff but I will be going to the shops as soon as I can tomorrow. And yes his scales are raised like a pine cone but I don't think it would be dropsy as he doesnt have any other symptoms.

I will try to post a picture asap but my computer wont let me so i may have to do it tomorrow
Old 07-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I've had fish show dropsy even though they didn't seem to show any other symptoms before it set in. Unfortunately my experience with dropsy has not been good, none of the treatments I've ever used have cured it. I'm sorry, I wish had some advice that would work.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #5 
PureAwesome

Here are 2 photos
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Oh my he's either been injured or has body rot. Is there a decoration he could've gotten stuck in? I would keep his water extra clean (every other day 50% water change) & you could add some Aq salt (pre-dissolved). When you do a water change only replace the amount of salt for the amount of water replaced. Keep a close eye on him, if doesn't appear better in a couple of days or gets worse stronger meds may be needed.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #7 
sainthogan

Along with dropsy, it looks like your fish has ammonia burns. Clean your tank ASAP! Do you have a filter? If not, you should be cleaning his tank 3-4 times a week for a tank that size. If you do have a filter, you should be cleaning it 2-3 times a week.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #8 
NickZac

In layman’s terms, the fish has a bacterial infection and needs an antibiotic. How this happens is hard to say, but ammonia burn and heater burn can result in hemorrhaging that may or may not be indicative of a bacterial infection. If the fins have slowly been withering away leaving thread-like pieces and the water has been clean, the edge of the fins are etched in a white different from the fish’ native color, or the fins or body cavity shows red streaking, it’s usually bacterial. If you are near a store, Maracyn Plus is the best choice. If you do online, TMP/SMX AKA TMP Sulfa AKA Bactrim/Septra is best. Oxytetracycline, doxycycline, and minocycline (Maracyn) are also suitable. I am not sure that this is dropsy, however, it is at a pretty advanced stage and some of the symptoms are not met. Once that redness affects the body cavity to that degree, it’s very serious. It also appears that the fins show some red streaking, and the gills are inflamed…you need to start treatment ASAP. How fast did this happen? If it happened quickly, there is even more reason you need to begin treatment like right NOW without delay. Will fishy still accept food?

Also, as noted there is possible ammonia burn or heater burn…water needs to be as clean as possible with 0 ammonia. Bump your temp slowly as well if you aren’t around the mid-80s already.

------
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I've had fish show dropsy even though they didn't seem to show any other symptoms before it set in. Unfortunately my experience with dropsy has not been good, none of the treatments I've ever used have cured it. I'm sorry, I wish had some advice that would work.
For dropsy, kanamycin + doxycycline (optional but seems to help) + vitamin B6 via trace elements has had some success…due to the potential damage done to internal organs, as you noted prognosis is grim. I’ve lost some of my most prized fish due to it, including a 6.5 inch-wide mated pair fire red German discus who practically responded to name and would eat from my fingers.
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #9 
PureAwesome

Ok thanks. He still eats normally and it did happen rather quickly but he was hanging around the heater more often and then that injury started to appear