Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #81 
Ilikebutterflies

Yep. MN Betta Shop has very nice fish as well. If you call just make sure you tell him you are looking for show quality and tell him what flaws your male has. There are videos of the fish.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #82 
LizbethDawn

I found a couple blue girls that seem to be what people are describing but I'm still learning so the others who know their stuff could tell you if they would work.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1373218224

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1373210401

This last girls pictures were huge and she's a marble she was just kid of a long shot so I'll just link.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1373222059
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #83 
Kiara1125

Just saying, those females are gorgeous, especially the second one. I love dragons.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #84 
Ilikebutterflies

They both have short first rays on the dorsal. The first one looks like it has reduction in the webbing between rays but all unpaired fins show it so it's OK. Her anal measures out to more than 1/3 her body length-can't be sure due to the angle. Slight fault. Don't forget your boys anal is a tad long. The second looks to have excessive ray branching in the tail. The dorsal on the first girl could reach further back. The first girl has short first rays on the caudal. First girls anal looks rounded but it could be the angle. Pretty girls none the less.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #85 
kbraucci

Thanks for all your help :) I was trying to check out the first two links for the females on Aquabid. All the listings came up. I don't know why... lol
I found the last girl, the marble. They are all pretty females I agree :)

But I actually purchased a female from Chaba on Aquabid. A really good guy to deal with. She is a green butterfly. I would say marble also? I was not sure which way to go with looking for the right caudal on the females. I was told less branching for my male would be better and then by a well known show/breeder to go for at least 4 preferably 8 ray branching after she saw my male. I know the short first rays of the dorsal will be tough to fix. The anal fin on this girl does not seem to long and the right length...Her top line looks good. Sooo I made the call and got her. Don't know if it was the right one since I am such a newbie, but there was something about her after I looked at a bunch of females for weeks that I liked. Plus the breeder I bought her from was really attentive and a pleasure to deal with. I am supposed to get her this week. Can't wait! I hope it was the right decision... EEEK!!! lol
Attached Images

kbraucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #86 
Ilikebutterflies

I think you will end up with sell able fry no problem. You always want at least 4 ray branching. 8 rays is the optimum for females IMHO only because show standards dictate males have at least 8 rays and females have at least 4 rays. IME I have found the females stamp their fry more so than the males yet a lot look for top notch males and skimp on the female.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #87 
kbraucci

I actually took more care looking at females because I started to understand a lot more after I got the male :) Reading over and over and the brain started to click going ohhh that's why... Lol
kbraucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #88 
Kiara1125

They're going to make gorgeous offspring! I can't wait to see the spawn log. :)
Old 07-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #89 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I wouldn't go with the last female, sorry. Her rays are way to many. Try to get a 4 ray female - safer because your boy has excessive rays.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #90 
Kiara1125

So she won't get the perfect HM fry, at least these fry (if she spawns the pair) will be able to sell and will look pretty nice. People who buy bettas don't always look for perfection. I would happily buy some offspring from the future spawn. At least she can get money for a new female and try to breed a different pair if she wishes. No one is going to reach absolute perfection, so this is just the start in learning with the spawning.