Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #1 
coleaini

Exclamation Tail shredding? Please help!

Mahak's tail seems to be shredding a bit, there rips and it is making us nervous. The amonia is high and the pH, this is making us nervous too. Right now we are cleaning the dying plant bits and looking for a bulb that never sprouted. We are salting the tank with each water change and watching him closely. --I'm attaching a photo too.

Please and thank you for help!

Housing
What size is your tank? 10
What temperature is your tank? 82
Does your tank have a filter? Yes; Aqua tech- with a pre filter on it, baffled with a sponge.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets, blood worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 6 days a week. --except we did a 90% to move the tank 3 days ago.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 15 usually.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 1.5ish
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.4
Hardness: Soft
Alkalinity: 80-120

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tail has two or more rips.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Seems a little freaked out, seems more active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning,
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium salt during every change for 2 days so far.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? Young adult.

coleaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #2 
Laki

Well, the good news is that it doesn't look bad. He's of the heavier fin type, he might be biting his tail bc it's too heavy. This you almost cannot stop, just provide him with plenty of plants and caves and resting places.

You can stop the salt. He doesn't need it. It really is not necessary for fin rips and by stopping its use you will help him better respond to it later in his life if you need it.

You can also lower his heater to 80* and that will be perfect for him. To lower pH you can make his water a blackwater environment. IAL (indian almond leaf), oak leaf and tetra brand blackwater extract can all provide this.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You don't need to lower the pH, yes it's high but pH fluctuations are going to not help him at all.

I'm not sure how well these products work, but Proper pH products you could possibly look into. As long as it stays constant it will be fine, but when you add in new water it's going to fluctuate again. With the Proper pH I think you add it before you add new water so that it won't effect them. I wouldn't get the 7.0 one but if you can find 7.6 that would help a little. But over all it's better to just leave it rather than make it fluctuate.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #4 
coleaini

This is a relief, thank you. We'll stop the salt and look into more places for him to hide/rest and look into the products you recommended!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #5 
coleaini

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
You don't need to lower the pH, yes it's high but pH fluctuations are going to not help him at all.

I'm not sure how well these products work, but Proper pH products you could possibly look into. As long as it stays constant it will be fine, but when you add in new water it's going to fluctuate again. With the Proper pH I think you add it before you add new water so that it won't effect them. I wouldn't get the 7.0 one but if you can find 7.6 that would help a little. But over all it's better to just leave it rather than make it fluctuate.
Thanks for this advice, we've noticed the fish has been doing well in the pH this whole time, so I wasn't sure if lowering it would do anything for him.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

In that case, let him stay in that pH level, no harm to him then ^_^ better to stay stable!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #7 
NickZac

I agree constant pH is more important than what the pH is. Given the pH is over 7 tho, getting the ammonia down should be considered top priority given 1.5 is stressing fish. A water change will reduce ammonia, and a water conditioner like Prime or Ammo Lock will neutralize it. I also agree that the physical damage is minor and is best treated with clean water and time. Warmer temps will speed healing.
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote