Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #51 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
Merlin flared quite a bit at Dragoon originally, and Dragoon only flared back a couple times. Merlin's so aggressive towards his shadow that I was so worried that he wouldn't get along well with a male that was as aggressive as he was, especially if neither could settle down.
I meant reflection here, reason why I shouldn't type after a long night at work XD
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #52 
BettaLover1313

What a long night with my puppy! Lucky just got fixed and he can't go on the furniture while he's healing (since he tends to slide off the couch and recliner O.o). So I spent the night on the floor with him and I'm questioning my sanity since I didn't sleep all that well and I work a 5pm-12am shift tonight, and I will probably be sleeping on the floor with him again after work.

My boys are doing good, both are happy they got a 50% water change yesterday, and Dragoon is taking the water changes better now that he has more room to swim away and hide if he wants.

I find it almost comical how much bigger Merlin is than Dragoon, and I don't mean their fins. Merlin's at least a good third larger than Dragoon, I'm fairly sure Dragoon still has some growing to do if he is anywhere near the same age Merlin was (thinking Merlin was about 6 months since his veil tail was still spade shaped when I bought him). If he's older, than his size adds to his appeal.

I had to admire my boys' colors while they were eating today-Merlin with his brilliant red with the flashes of purple in his tail (not sure if this is from the gemstones I put in or not, pretty either way), and Dragoon with his lovely dark copper coloring with the streaks of red and white in his fins, not to mention his iridescence that makes him look a very light blue sometimes. I'm very happy that I have both my boys, and I'm looking forward to college knowing that I will have them both to keep me company. (Not looking forward to the transport though...but that's a long way off yet).
Old 06-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #53 
BettaLover1313

I survived my shift and another night on the floor with the dog (several more still to come); Lucky seems to think he's perfectly fine and so does Renji, my cat, since he tried to instigate a game of "Boogie-Boogie" aka Chase Me. Poor boys don't understand why their play was cut short, but we can't risk Lucky hurting himself while he's still recovering.

Got to groom two of the horses I work with, both of whom were very dirty. I'm hoping to see them again tomorrow and maybe work with them a bit more. I worked with one, Genuine, on halter a bit today, hoping that I can maybe ride him since he's more my height, but first the owner has to see how broke he is after the training he got.

Both my betta boys are doing good, their water is clean and at the levels it should be at so I'm very happy about that. Both are very nice to see relaxing in their own unique ways (Dragoon under the filter and Merlin in his floating log).

All in all, not a bad day today.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #54 
BettaLover1313

Starting to wonder if Merlin's olfactory system functions properly, or if he's hard of hearing (granted I say his name and he's at the front of the tank in a second). This isn't the first time this has happened at feedings, but it's just become frequent. I will sprinkle his food on his side of the tank, and it must be in Merlin's blind spot since he doesn't see it and then he flares at me when I feed Dragoon, who instantly adjusts himself as soon as the food hits the water so that he can start eating. Merlin only notices his food once he's turned himself to really give me a full glare and then he notices his food and will eat enthusiastically. Makes me wonder about him some days, it really does.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #55 
BettaLover1313

Well, today has been an interesting day for both my boys.

First, the boys had an unexpected visitor near the tank in the form of Renji jumping up to see if he could get any sushi (or he was just wanted to watch them lol). Either way, he got shooed down pretty quick, but not before Merlin hid behind his plant and Dragoon was flaring (gills and all, which he's never done before). Then, they got their water changed later than I planned, but I did get 1/2 of it changed, and they're enjoying the cleaner water, granted, Dragoon has not gotten used to water changes, last time he must have just been groggy or something! Finally, I accidentally dropped some of the bloodworms on Merlin's side and next thing I know, they were in his mouth and he didn't spit them out, so it would seem Merlin does like them after all. Both boys did get a bloodworm treat after the water was changed (well, two, since I dropped two on Merlin's side & then Dragoon got two as well). So both are happy fish, and I'm happy that I don't have to buy separate fish treats for Merlin! I do have to get more test strips though -.-' thinking of buying two bottles worth of the strips just so I don't have to purchase them again for awhile.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #56 
BettaLover1313

Went to Wal-Mart and Pet Smart today, Wal-Mart I picked up two packages of my test strips, so I'm hoping I won't run out of them again anytime soon. At Pet Smart I picked up treats & canned food for both my cat and dog. Not to mention more dog food, a brush for my dog, and a harness so that I can actually walk him now without nearly losing my arm to his pulling.

Lucky, my dog, was well behaved in the store today, very little pulling, and he appears to be okay with wearing his harness and having the leash attached to it, so I'm looking forward to taking him on walks now that I don't have to worry about him choking himself. People love his markings and always comment wherever we go, and it's even better that he's such a sweetheart, even if he is a bit bashful. I'm just glad he can handle the car ride there and back without too much issue due to him having a bit of motion sickness. Luckily, I've figured out that he can't have food or treats before going on a car ride! So we avoided any accidents in my car today!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #57 
BettaLover1313

Pictures of the Boys!!! :D

Sorry that the quality of these are kind of bad; between my shaky hands and their constant motion, it's a wonder I got any half-decent pictures! Think I may have to remove his little plant though, I think it's tearing his fins a bit, but I can tell he loves having it, so I shall remove it when I can get him a small silk plant to replace it with if necessary. I'm not sure it's the plant causing his tail to look so ragged or if he's tail biting...

Merlin the Regal (aka Mr. Grumpy)-Merlin tends to pose for pictures, though after awhile he will glare at me to signal he's had enough of the photo shoot.

Dragoon the Great (aka Little Torpedo)-Seriously, he rarely holds still when I'm in the room. I know he does lounge! I've seen him do it from the doorway, but as soon as I set foot in the room he's swimming all over the place and opening his mouth happily (probably saying "feed me more please!")

Both my Boys Near Their Divider (I really can't tell if they know there's another fish past the craft mesh or not)

Yeah, lots of pictures, but I felt like I needed to take pictures of them both since I haven't done it in awhile
Old 07-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #58 
BettaLover1313

Both boys got an extra treat today, usually I only give them their bloodworms once a week, but since I forgot to close the flap I feed them from and they'd been hovering near it for at least half an hour extra, I said I'd give them some treats once I turned off their filters. Both were very happy with this and gobbled up their bloodworm when they got them.

Some days it feels very surreal that I have not just one betta, but two. I love them both to pieces, and I enjoy walking into my room and just checking on them, or sometimes just standing there watching them swim around happily.

I really hope to have both my boys around for 3+ years, and I know I'll be very heartbroken when either one dies. Each of them has been teaching me so much about bettas and how wonderful they are, not to mention that without them, I wouldn't have discovered this amazing site that has so many helpful people on it!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #59 
BettaLover1313

I seriously worry about Merlin sometimes. Once again, he was starting to throw a fit with his feeding when he didn't think that I'd fed him. He was just about flare completely when he turned slightly and had a look of "Oh!" on his face before he started eating happily. Some days Merlin! Some days! I don't understand why he can't seem to hear his food, feel the vibrations, or scent the food at the surface of his water. Dragoon is instantly eating his food the moment it hits the surface, while if Merlin doesn't see his food, he will start getting upset about not being fed, when he has been! I just don't get it.

On a different note, going to be continuing Lucky's training on the harness while he's walking. He seemed to be learning already that if he pulls, I will stop walking. So we'll see if he remembers his training from yesterday or not.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #60 
BettaLover1313

Wal-Mart Betta

As I've said before, I bought Merlin from a Wal-Mart near my college since I needed the companionship/something to take care of.

Well, tonight I went into Wal-Mart after work since I needed to buy groceries for my mom (wanted to go to Pet Smart too to look at the heaters there, but they were closed :/) and I decided to visit the fish section.
My heart broke when I saw the condition of one boy. I can't even tell you what tail type he was since I was so appalled at his living conditions. His water was absolutely filthy, and the poor boy was lying on his side at the top of his cup. When I picked it up, he righted himself and gave me such a pleading expression that I nearly took him home...part of me wishes that I had, but I just don't want to spend the money to get a 10 gallon tank, transport said tank to college, not to mention not just two bettas, but three to college. I ended up setting him back on the self, and I still feel terrible .
These are the times I not only hate being a college student, but on a budge too. I can't afford to keep purchasing tanks, heaters, etc. *sigh* I wish I could. I hope that boy finds a good home since he looked like a real sweetheart.

Anyway, on a funnier note: quote of the night from me as I was heading home: *sees skunk starting to cross the road* *gasp* "Poo-poo skunk!"

All right, so I thought it was funny XD