Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

Apologies, I meant the newer brand. New Life still seems to be pretty good. A decade ago, I was pretty much a baby so I can't quite say. My apologies, again.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #12 
NickZac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Apologies, I meant the newer brand. New Life still seems to be pretty good. A decade ago, I was pretty much a baby so I can't quite say. My apologies, again.
I'm actually really glad you pointed this out...it seems many of the big players have consolidated in the past 5 years and quality has changed in some instances. Next time I buy food I am going to look closer at the labels for fillers and if you didnt note this I probably would not have otherwise. That is a shame that Hikari has changed...it seems fewer and fewer makers are providing foods of high quality and are flocking towards using fillers just to inflate their profit margin.

This is what I have historically used on gouramis (and now my betta)...next time at the store I'll take the old packaging to compare ingredients.
http://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Usa-AHK...s=hikari+betta
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well for reference here are the first three ingredients from PetSolution's Hikari Bio-gold Betta pellets: Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Soybean Meal and the first three from PetCo's Hikari Bio-Gold: Fish meal, wheat flour, milt meal, so either way no good now. I agree though, they used to be great!

NLS recently changed their formula as well and no longer have "meals" in their formula which is in fact better, they still have one minor filler in the first three ingredients but still better than Hikari at the moment and then Omega One tops out with Whole Salmon, Halibut, Shrimp
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #14 
LebronTheBetta

So Omega One is now the best, with NLS coming in at a close second?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes, as far as pellet food goes
Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #16 
LebronTheBetta

Okay, then. Thanks, looks like a new food to buy once my NLS runs out. (has old ingredients. :D) Well, I'll still have to check the list, first.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #17 
NeptunesMom

Some people don't like the Ethoxyquin in Omega One, and thus do consider NLS a better food.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #18 
NickZac

Very interesting read :)...I'll be buying some Omega and NLS to see what fishy takes the most liking to. I am guessing that for bettas which are technically (small-sized) predators that the less-processed and higher percent protein ingredients that are not meals is going to be the ideal match for them, correct?

If Hikari has went down hill, does that mean this is probably different as well?
http://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Usa-AHK...rds=betta+food
(I used to use a TON of it combined with First Bites...grrr)

Last edited by NickZac; 07-07-2013 at 09:25 PM.
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #19 
TheOnlyCanvas

Honestly, I just check whatever food I grab first to make sure since they change things so often.

I got Mara to eat an Omega One Buffet pellet tonight. Took her a little bit to get hold of it, but boy did she go after it.

She's had several more regular bowel movements, too.

I think we're getting to a good point :D
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZac View Post
Very interesting read :)...I'll be buying some Omega and NLS to see what fishy takes the most liking to. I am guessing that for bettas which are technically (small-sized) predators that the less-processed and higher percent protein ingredients that are not meals is going to be the ideal match for them, correct?

If Hikari has went down hill, does that mean this is probably different as well?
http://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Usa-AHK...rds=betta+food
(I used to use a TON of it combined with First Bites...grrr)
That particular one has also seemingly changed to: Fish meal, wheat flour, flaked corn

Of course, again it just depends on when you bought it. If you can find one on Ebay from a regular seller and not a retail company, check to see the ingredients to see if it's the old formula that's all.

I know my Betta's prefer the NLS to Omega, half of them turn their noses to Omega. I actually have the old formula of NLS where it still has the "Meals" but it's still a good formula nonetheless and it's smaller than Omega so my guy's and gal's go after it right away. They will eat the Omega when I throw it in, but it's not as enthused I find. Or maybe that's just me preferring NLS and pushing that notion to my Betta's haha

Tags
constipated, not eating, sbd, swim bladder disease