Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #11 
Flapmon

He doesn't tail bite, I don't know how many times I've repeated myself but he does NOT tail bite. "How would you know?" you ask, WELL .. His tank is directly next to my bed and I don't work so the majority of the time I'm looking over at him if he makes any sudden movements because at the moment? He's high priority. The things he does sometimes worries the heck out of me. His eye problem? Completely cleared up today, bloating? Gone. His tail still has black bits in it but there's no sign of receding but his tail HAS lost volume. We've tried aquarium salt and tri-sulfa with no results. He likes to lay at the bottom of his tank and sorta ... Drift off to one side, but as you poke the glass? He wakes up and zooms off straight away. He eats, he swims .. He's curious, he does everything normal aside from having a black tail and drifting to one side. He does not have the swimming disorder since he doesn't swim crooked. He searched for things amongst his gravel still as well. It's hard to diagnose something when the symptoms disappear the next day and I'm honestly tempted to put all of this down to old age.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #12 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
He doesn't tail bite, I don't know how many times I've repeated myself but he does NOT tail bite. "How would you know?" you ask, WELL .. His tank is directly next to my bed and I don't work so the majority of the time I'm looking over at him if he makes any sudden movements because at the moment? He's high priority. The things he does sometimes worries the heck out of me. His eye problem? Completely cleared up today, bloating? Gone. His tail still has black bits in it but there's no sign of receding but his tail HAS lost volume. We've tried aquarium salt and tri-sulfa with no results. He likes to lay at the bottom of his tank and sorta ... Drift off to one side, but as you poke the glass? He wakes up and zooms off straight away. He eats, he swims .. He's curious, he does everything normal aside from having a black tail and drifting to one side. He does not have the swimming disorder since he doesn't swim crooked. He searched for things amongst his gravel still as well. It's hard to diagnose something when the symptoms disappear the next day and I'm honestly tempted to put all of this down to old age.
You will not see him bite it. I only work on Saturdays, otherwise I am in my room sitting by my bettas working on my graduate research (or totally ignoring it and playing on this forum). I spend probably 8-10 waking hours each day with my fish. Then I've been spending 4-6 at my boyfriends helping with his new house. My fish (well my biters are least, my non-biters are not eye level with me) are eye level with me, and I can see every move they make during the time I'm in that room. I have NEVER seen a fish bite its tail. But, I know they are biting because I know the difference between rot and biting. They look different. That being said, it does sound like fin rot if there is black. However, my biter has a black horizontal line that appeared in his tail about 6 months ago. I have found no one who knows what it is, and it is not rot. It's clearly a tissue problem, but I don't know what it is.

My guess could be you are staring at your fish too much. Sometimes if we stare at something enough we find there are problems that don't actually exist. If we think we see something, and convince ourselves its there, we then actually will see it.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #13 
Flapmon

So ... On a blue/white/orange betta .. Black is suddenly a natural colour to occur? wot.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #14 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
So ... On a blue/white/orange betta .. Black is suddenly a natural colour to occur? wot.
No it's not. Did you read my post? I said black is a sign of tissue problems. I don't know what "wot" means.

The other symptoms you say come and go, are the ones I was talking about in my second paragraph.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote