Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #1 
cejamieson

Unhappy Dolly Needs Your Help

We have a female betta fish named Dolly.
First Incident:
The other day, I put her into a deep bowl and she flopped out and landed on her side on the kitchen counter. We had read that they sometimes will flop out of bowls, etc. So we use deep containers. She appeared fine when I put her back.
Second Incident:
Shortly after, I cleaned the bowl. This time, I believe she went into shock due to a slightly different temperature. She appeared fine after that.
Thirdly:
We discussed not to give additional food...and some extra food was was given to her.

Consequence...
She's have a difficult time swimming straight. She sometimes floats on her side. Believe me, we are super, super Betta parents and they get the best of care.
Care so far:
I cleaned out bowl and gradually changed the water. I put about 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt (she's in about a gallon of water). I also put a pea on each end of a toothpick. I haven't seen her poop yet today. She does look swollen around the tummy area.
Her fins aren't damaged. At least what we can see.
We absolutely adore Dolly. She has huge black eyes. Super intelligent. She watches everything. She has even watched our male bettas blow bubbles and now she makes a bubble nest. We put up magazines and she goes from left to right like she is reading the articles. Loves the photos.
Please help with any advice possible. We can't lose Dolly!
cejamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #2 
Viva

She is probably just constipated and it's affecting her swim bladder which is why she has trouble swimming straight. Epsom salt works great for this. Try 1 - 2 tsp per gallon and fast her for a few days until she's not bloated anymore.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #3 
cejamieson

Dolly

I had added about 1/2 tsp. of aquarium salt recently when I changed her water. Can I add the Epson Salt right into the tank (along with the added aquarium salt)?
Do I need to take her out when I add the Epson Salt? Thank you so much for answering quickly. We appreciate any help or advice!
Old 07-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #4 
Viva

You can dissolve the Epsom salt in the water first before adding her in. I would remove the aquarium salt because that is used for external problems like fin rot and external parasites. Epsom salt is used for internal problems like constipation, internal parasites, etc.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #5 
cejamieson

Have you had success with Epson Salt because I'm reading other websites that state not to use it. We also read to use daphnia??? Thank you.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #6 
cejamieson

How long do you leave them in the Epson Salt?
Old 07-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #7 
Viva

Many people on this forum recommend epsom salt just be sure to get one with nothing else added to it. I've used it for my betta that had a serious swim bladder issue and it worked well. It makes them poop and gets all the liquids out of them that could be causing bloat. You can use epsom salt indefinitely in small amounts (0.5 tsp per gallon) but I wouldn't leave it at the 1 - 2 tsp/gallon concentration for more than 7-10 days. If it is just constipation you won't need it for very long anyways.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #8 
Viva

Also Daphnia is another good laxative for bettas. I can just never find it.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #9 
Ilikebutterflies

+1 on the epsom salt. It works very well. I actually have a giant male that gets constipated on pellet food so I keep ES in his water. Always. Aquarium plants LOVE epsom salt too!
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #10 
cejamieson

Dolly's Recovery!
Good news!
Dolly is doing well.
We put a pea on each end of a toothpick.
It worked:)
Thank you so much for all your responses!