Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #1 
MikeyG

Unhappy Any idea what's wrong with her?

I have had Ugly Betta now for a couple weeks or so. As some of you may remember, I got her mainly because I felt sorry for her...she wasn't at all pretty, and I knew she was going to languish around in that little tub. Anyway, I have fed her, changed the water twice this week alone, and she still seems to be this brownish green color, although if you look carefully, the dorsal fin is trying to be a little blue.

Attached are a picture of her in her fave spot, behind the whisper 3i filter in her tank, and another pic of her so you can see her better.

Any idea what's wrong with her, and what I can do?
Attached Images

MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think she's ugly at all! You haven't had her that long, she may surprise you. The important thing is that she now has clean water to live in. It sounds like you are taking great care of her.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #3 
MikeyG

Thanks! I'm not giving up on her yet...may seem odd for a guy, but I would actually lose sleep if I killed an animal, even a fish.

I have just never seen a drab green betta before, and it seems odd that she spends most of her time hiding behind the filter. I even thawed some frozen bloodworms and put them in and she ignored them.

Also, in case it helps, I tested the water prior to todays change, and the only thing wrong was the ammonia, it was .5, so I did a 2/3 water change and cleaned the gravel. water temp is about 75. Normally she gets a few Aqueon Betta Pellets when I leave for work and when I get home.

I just checked on her again, and she is hovering at the bottom near the gravel.

I have a 10 gallon with neon tetras and skunk cories that I could put her in, but I think that aquarium is full (maybe over full), but if you think putting her in there will help, I'll give it a try.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have no idea why she would be hovering near the bottom. What size tank is she in? Sometimes a smaller tank makes them feel more secure.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #5 
MikeyG

She's in one of these:
http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetr...d=1276&cid=889

That's as small as I want to go.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:17 AM   #6 
MikeyG

Well, Ugly Betta passed away today

She didn't look so hot at the per store, I guess I can take some solace in the fact that she didn't have to spend her last days in one of those wretched tubs.

I have Whitey at work, but I'm debating ever getting another one. If we keep buying them they will keep selling them in those damned tubs and not caring for them...just stick 'em on a shelf and forget about them. It's no wonder people keep them in vases, boxes, picture frames, etc...

Sorry about the rant, but I'm not sorry about the rant, if you know what I mean.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #7 
CodeRed

I hate to say it, but if it's only one person who stops, I doubt the pet store will notice. People will keep buying the bettas anyways, and the Petstore's happy, while you have nothing. If a bunch of people tried to stop the purchasing of bettas it might work, but if only one person... I'd say just get another one, and try to make their life better, at least.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:37 AM   #8 
MikeyG

Well, I can't say that I am blameless...when it became apparent that Ugly Betta wasn't likely to make it, I saw Whitey...he's in a 3g on my desk at work...I have hiding places on order for him, and he loves dried bloodworms. Actually, he loves anything that goes in the tank, including RCS. I may try a ghost shrimp, but the way he eats, a cleanup crew isn't really needed.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:02 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about your fish! She was very lucky to have had such good care the last few weeks of her life.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #10 
Calmwaters

Sorry about your fish.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote