Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Talking I got my tank!!!!!! :d

I just go it today. 10 gallons with hood. A 50 watt heater. And a Whisper filter.. the guy said it was probably the least harsh on the bettas. I can't decide on whether to do a fishless cycle or not.. so Im going to go back and read over it again. Right now I have it set up with the divider, heater, filter and dechlorinator going. It also has gravel in it until i get a chance to go to the walmart and get the cheaper silk plants. My boys will stay in their containers until im sure its safe to put them in the big tank.. i forgot to grab the test kit so i have to do that also.

Am I forgetting anything?... Pics coming as soon as I get it all set up with freddie and fish in their new home
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #2 
ElmoFish

The best cycling method for your fish is the fishless method, but be prepared to wait about a month for the cycle to complete before adding your fish.
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmoFish View Post
The best cycling method for your fish is the fishless method, but be prepared to wait about a month for the cycle to complete before adding your fish.
thanks.. do you know anything about adding the bacteria.. would that help speed it up a little? Im ok with waiting a month but I wish It could be sooner.. the best method I saw was to add ammonia everyday and keep testing.. if i did this and added the cycle starter or what ever its called would that speed it up?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #4 
ElmoFish

I wouldn't recommend Cycle as the bacteria in it are dead before you buy it.. the only one of those products that has a good reputation is Bio Spira.. which I have no personal experience with as it's not available here.. but all i know is that it must be kept refridgerated.. Ammonia is the best way, you have to make sure it's pure ammonia tho, not just any old stuff from the grocery store.. and the best way to speed things up would be if you had some gravel or filter media from a cycled tank.. if you have a friend with one, or sometimes petstores will even give you some of their gravel if you ask, and just put it in a nylon in the tank..
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

K thanks I won't use that. I actually decided to do a cycle with my fish.. its not ideal I know but they needed to get in there bc I have no way to regulate the temp of their old bowls and they were starting to look really bad. If it looks like theyre gonna get sick from the cycle I will take them out.
I'm going to monitor them very closely.. I will also look around for bio spira.

I do have a question about the filter.. it still seems too strong for my betta.. what can I do to slow it? Im going to put a bunch of plants in front of it to see if that helps.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #6 
Kim

You can build a baffle using a soda/water bottle. Just cut off both ends so that you have a clear plastic tube. Then cut that lengthwise, and then you can curl it around the outflow area and tape it to the top. Here, I'll give you a pic of mine...

Name:  IMG_0301.JPG
Views: 134
Size:  76.1 KB

Well, you can't see where it's taped but it's late and that's the only pic I have on my computer . If you don't get how it works I'd be happy to take a better pic tomorrow.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
You can build a baffle using a soda/water bottle. Just cut off both ends so that you have a clear plastic tube. Then cut that lengthwise, and then you can curl it around the outflow area and tape it to the top. Here, I'll give you a pic of mine...

Attachment 4228

Well, you can't see where it's taped but it's late and that's the only pic I have on my computer . If you don't get how it works I'd be happy to take a better pic tomorrow.
that would be great if you could post a few more pics.. thanks... My filter is the whisper kind with the water flowing out the top.. im not sure if its the water coming out or going in or a combination of both but it seems to make it a little harder on my betta on the half of the tank with the filter to swim. i just dont want it to hurt him... im gonna get some silk plants tomorrow and see if that helps a little.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Here's some pictures...

The orange fish is named fish.. i couldn't come up with anything better and we thought he was gonna die right after we bought him (that was two years ago). The blue one we call freddie... he is the one whos been having trouble with his back fin.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #9 
Calmwaters

It looks great I would suggest getting a bottle of this. I have used it and Prime together and it worked great.
Aquarium Water Quality & Conditioners: Stability New Tank Stabilization Water Conditioner
and this:
Aquarium Water Quality & Conditioners: Seachem Prime Water Conditioner
I got mine at Petsmart.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #10 
Kim

Is it the whisper in tank filter? I have used to have a baffle on one of those as well and I could get a pic of it for you because I made the baffle a little different for the in-tank filter because there's no cover to tape it to.

The tank looks GREAT by the way ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote