Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #1 
Rocky12

Setting up a new 20 gallon long tank *Other Fish*

Hello there,

I've decided to set up a brand new 20 gallon long tank! I'm currently cycling the tank and am looking at the fish! I'm using aqadvisor but I would rather have live feedback :).

My main concern is feeding, as I am sure has been seen before. Here are the fish I am thinking of getting:
Cherry Barbs(5)
Bloodfin Tetras(6)
Topsail Platys(4)
Black Molly(1)
Panda Cory(4)
(Am I being over zealous here :)?)

Am I overstocking the tank with this list? AQ has me basically at max.

I will be using an Aqueon quiet filter 30, a aqueon 100w heater holding a steady 76F temp. The tank will have no live plants as I have an LED hood and would rather not replace bulbs all the time! So I will be getting silk plants, a few larger decorations (still deciding on a theme), and the substrate will most likely be a natural looking gravel.

As for the feeding, most of them accept flake foods (I would buy the best of the best), and the cories needing sinking pellets (again the best of the best). All of the fish would also enjoy brine shrimp or bloodworms as a supplement to their flakes. I guess my question goes, how can I be sure all the fish are getting enough to eat, and the sinking pellets aren't being gobbled up before reaching the cories? Also, when I put in worms or shrimp, how can I be sure of everyone getting the supplement they need? Do I have to anchor them so the cories get their fair share?

Sorry for all the questions :). Open to all!

Last edited by Rocky12; 07-08-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Rocky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

I think you are a bit over zealous. For starters, a 20 long, once substrate is in the tank, is only going to provide about 9 inches of depth. I don't think that's enough for 4 groups of fish.

As for food - they will all eat a high quality pellet food like NLS. Skip the flakes.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #3 
Rocky12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I think you are a bit over zealous. For starters, a 20 long, once substrate is in the tank, is only going to provide about 9 inches of depth. I don't think that's enough for 4 groups of fish.

As for food - they will all eat a high quality pellet food like NLS. Skip the flakes.
What would you suggest taking the fish count down to? I could do without the Cherry Barbs. Would that be an acceptable amount?
Putting us down to Tetras, cories, platys and the Molly.

The NLS pellets sink. Will the cories gobble them all up or will everybody get their fair share?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu

Cherry Barbs are not "peaceful" fish; they tend to be nippers so eliminating them might be a good thing to do, anyway.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

I found cherry barbs to be quite peaceful - never had an issue with them nipping and I kept them with nippable fish. But, I also kept them in a larger school than 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky12 View Post
What would you suggest taking the fish count down to? I could do without the Cherry Barbs. Would that be an acceptable amount?
Putting us down to Tetras, cories, platys and the Molly.

The NLS pellets sink. Will the cories gobble them all up or will everybody get their fair share?
I would not keep the molly. They are social fish, just like most others, and can get aggressive when kept singly. The tetras, corys and platys will make a nice tank.

The NLS will sink...eventually. Before they do, they will float around on the surface before slowly sinking to the bottom. The fish will eat from the surface, on the way down, and off the bottom. It's not hard to make sure the fish are fed enough.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

Oops. I was thinking *Tiger* Barbs; not Cherry Barbs.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #7 
Rocky12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I found cherry barbs to be quite peaceful - never had an issue with them nipping and I kept them with nippable fish. But, I also kept them in a larger school than 5.

I would not keep the molly. They are social fish, just like most others, and can get aggressive when kept singly. The tetras, corys and platys will make a nice tank.

The NLS will sink...eventually. Before they do, they will float around on the surface before slowly sinking to the bottom. The fish will eat from the surface, on the way down, and off the bottom. It's not hard to make sure the fish are fed enough.
(I can't edit my original post for some odd reason, any ideas why?)

I will take the Barbs and the Molly off the list. Keeping the tetras, platys and corys :).

The pellets make perfect sense, while on the surface and on the way down, top feeders will have their way, and the leftover will sink for the corys. Just a matter of finding out how much to put in for everybody ^^.

Also, could I add any other fish to the tank? Maybe another school? I also like the idea of having one king fish, or jewel of the tank (hence the molly), any suggestions for this (if possible)?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu

Would a Betta work? Not sure; just asking.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #9 
Rocky12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Would a Betta work? Not sure; just asking.
We shall await a response to this question together :P.

I think the betta would be too aggressive, iirc. But, maybe!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu

I don't know. I have one Betta that is and another that lives with Thai Micro Crabs, RCS and Dwarf Orange Crayfish with no casualties. So guess it depends on the Betta. The inverts don't even scatter when he comes down to inspect their food.