Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #1 
TigerLily

Question about plant fertilizers

Since I've picked up a live plant as well as some "betta bulbs" to grow, I figured I would probably need some kind of plant food. Our local store doesn't really offer much of a selection, but I picked up what they had:
API: Leaf Zone liquid plant food

I assume that because it's specifically for aquarium plants that it's also safe for fish, my betta in particular, right?

The bottle says it contains chelated iron. So, before I use this, is it safe or should I have gotten something different?
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #2 
ElmoFish

I've used the same stuff for my newly acquired plants without any issues.. but I'm pretty new to the live plant scene, so hopefully someone more experienced can verify that it's safe..
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #3 
gus6464

If you don't to use substrate I started using a combination of Seachem Flourish tabs under each root, Seachem Flourish Comprehensive 2 days a week for trace elements, and Flourish Excel 5 days a week for CO2. When I first got my plants they began to get brown and a week later after starting with that they are starting to grow quite a bit. I have amazon swords and the lighting is not very powerful at all (1.375 watts per gallon) and they are really thriving with this combo.

Flourish tabs cost $9 or less for 10 and last 3 months so if you have 3 rooted plants a pack can last up to a year. Flourish Comp and Flourish Excel is also around that price but can be cheaper if you buy online and lasts over 6 months if you have a 10 gallon.

Supplements for Healthy Planted Aquariums: Seachem Flourish
Supplements for Healthy Planted Aquariums: Seachem Flourish Excel
Planted Aquarium Health: Seachem Flourish Tabs
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #4 
TigerLily

Thanks for the info! I may just have to order some. :)
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote