Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #1 
FishyFloorzack

Question My Birthday Today?

So today July 8th, is my birthday and i don't really want anything..well other than a 10 gallon tank!!!!!! Yes 3 gallon to a 10 gallon. Oh how i dreamed of how it would look with real plants and my beautiful Rubin VT swimming around happy finally. But my only itch about this tank switch is i DON'T want any start kit with it. Most people complain about what comes with it so i was thinking about but buying 2 whisper filters is that normal? instead of having a huge filter that will suck up Rubin just have 2 whispter filters?http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo and when i saw the starter kit, http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo and saw the reviews i was like no way jose. But That's not my only itch about this. Should i divide the tank into 2 parts? Or have a community tank? I'd like to see a community tank, but then again i rather see 2 happy bettas swimming in a divided 10 gallon. Would someone like to help me out here?
FishyFloorzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well, happy birthday!

As far as communities in 10 gallons, it's rather a struggle. You can't really fit a happy shoal of fish in there with your Betta, eventually they will get nippy and unhappy because of space restrictions and then will turn on your Betta which is no good! The only thing you could really do is have 3-4 julii cory's or some other smaller corydoras with him but I'd personally just split it!

I love my split 10, in fact it's split 3 ways still giving each fish 3.3 gallons! But split in half was wonderful as well.

I caution against buying kits, it's probably going to cost you more money in the end if you do because then you'll just buy replacements of everything that it came with. Well at least that's what I did. I hated the whisper 10i so I got an Aqua-Tech 5-15 from wal-mart, baffled it and it works great! The bigger filter really won't hurt him if you baffle it well

Here's a water bottle baffle that I use: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139 and here's what mine looks like on my 5-15: http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/li...ilter%20Baffle This allows the water to go out the sides and therefore circulating the water through the tank better and easier. Also you can do this sponge filter, not a step-by-step but if you read the comments you get what it's telling you http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=56100

I even changed out the hood too to an LED light strip which I don't like because it doesn't grow plants well so if you get a regular hood you can replace the bulb with a small CFL to grow plants well

But these are all my experiences, I also suggest you get an adjustable heater too for those just-in-case moments of disease or something. You can find them online for cheap, I suggest this 50W heater: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=11368 So yeah, I think you should just get the 15 dollar regular tank with nothing in it, get a hood and get your own filter/heater so that you don't have to buy everything twice
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #3 
FishyFloorzack

I think i might split the tank, I don't know. Maybe just keep Rubin by himself and have aquatic plants. Yeah i thinks that what i'm going to do! Thank you!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #4 
Beckylovesbettas

I just bought that setup for my son's 6 month old goldfish, so far it's awesome! The reviews were overwhelmingly very good...it does of course need a heater for a betta.
Beckylovesbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #5 
VegasShimmer

Petco has a 10g Aqueon deluxe kit for around $65. Includes great filter and heater. I have three of them (2 divided and 1 community/sorority). Would definitely recommend!! The rim of the tank allows for a notch to be cut out in order to secure the divider. All kits aren't bad.... :)
VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #6 
jesssan2442

Some shrimp would be cool of you want some tank mates! they have all differerent colors like, green, blue, yellow, and red so you could really get whatever color you like!!

I like the aqueon tank kit!! You could piece together a tank and it would probably be around the same price maybe a little less!!

planted tanks are really cool, but just make sure you have the right light for the plants you want to grow!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #7 
FishyFloorzack

i can't find the 10g Aqueon deluxe kit..
Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #8 
VegasShimmer

I think it's only in-store, and probably not available online.
VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote