Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #11 
CodeRed

She is not eating because she's still getting used to her new home. Almost all bettas make bubblenests, and it does not mean they won't eat. In fact, all eight of my bettas have bubblenests, and all eat like there's no tomorrow.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #12 
iheartmyfishies

Trust me she doesn't want to breed. She's probably just picky. Bettas like meaty foods the best.
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #13 
littleBernice

well I am not speacilizing a meat diet for a fish.....if shes hungry she will eat it.....
littleBernice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #14 
Rohland

wow you are defensive.. Maybe your betta will eat when it gets adjusted to its home. Also it would be more active if its water was kept at a stable temperature and had more space. Also she creates the eggs herself. However females usually need stimulation to get eggs... which is also involved in conditioning.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #15 
JamieTron

She could be picky, try different foods, or perhaps she is still adjusting to her new environment, I've had bettas that would not eat a few days after I got them. Changing homes in stressful for them.

as for her not eating because she wants to breed, I don't know, some fish will reduce appetite when their eggs are mature. I am not sure if bettas exhibit this behaviour.

As for breeding I would research like they said. Maybe take a few months or so that'll give you enough time to pick out the perfect male It costs a lot to breed as well, because you need extra tanks and whatnot so you may need to save money anyways while you are researching. To tell if she does have eggs look at her belly, is it kind of swollen or full looking? She will also have a little white thing sticking out on her belly, that is her ovipositor which is where the eggs would come out, if you can see this she is mature enough to produce eggs. Also if around a male she will get dark vertical stripes on her body. If you see stripes and they are horizontal...those are stress lines which means something in her environment is bothering her.

If you do get a male (or have one already) you can set their tanks beside each other, it is fun to watch them flirt! :)
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #16 
iheartmyfishies

Not a meat diet like red meat but a diet high in protein.
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Pellets should be their main food and foods like frozen or freeze dried bloodworms, brine shrimp and daphnia are to be fed as a once or twice a week treat.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote