Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #1 
Wynn

Water change question

My mother added 3 cories 1 betta and 2 frogs to a 20 gallon take fairly close to eachother, the tank is not cycled. I am testing her water and after 2 days its nitrite is at about 1. I hear this should be at 0. After doing a 50% water change it was at 2 36 hours later. Is it bad to do a 50-75% water change every 2 days while the tank is getting cycled?
Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

You'll probably need to do more frequent water changes & maybe multiple in a day to keep the water safe for the inhabitants. Test daily, do a 50% water change if ammonia or nitrites are >.25 or nitrates >20. If the nitrites are currently at 2 I'd do a 50%+ wait an hour or two, retest & do another 50%+ water change if nitrites are >.25, 0 is what it should be but can be difficult to get during a fish IN cycle. Make sure you're using a good water conditioner such as Prime.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #3 
Wynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
You'll probably need to do more frequent water changes & maybe multiple in a day to keep the water safe for the inhabitants. Test daily, do a 50% water change if ammonia or nitrites are >.25 or nitrates >20. If the nitrites are currently at 2 I'd do a 50%+ wait an hour or two, retest & do another 50%+ water change if nitrites are >.25, 0 is what it should be but can be difficult to get during a fish IN cycle. Make sure you're using a good water conditioner such as Prime.
Don't have prime yet, but it is my plan at some point(bit new still)
Ok, thanks for the advice I been doing that with my guy but I was nevious with my moms stuff.
(feel bad for the guys, she refused to water change them on the forth cuz it was a holiday, so she was like don't care what the results say ) <- poor guys :'(. I wanted to make sure there wasn't any chance of changing the water too much which you seemed to anwser quite well.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

When you do a fish IN cycle it takes lots of water changes to keep them healthy. The BB is on the things in the tank such as the substrate, plants, decorations & in the filter media, the water itself has very little. As long as she's using a good water conditioner & treating before new water hits the tank the established BB should stay in tact. You're doing good so not to worry. Hopefully your mom will follow your lead.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #5 
Wynn

Quote:
When you do a fish IN cycle it takes lots of water changes to keep them healthy. The BB is on the things in the tank such as the substrate, plants, decorations & in the filter media, the water itself has very little. As long as she's using a good water conditioner & treating before new water hits the tank the established BB should stay in tact. You're doing good so not to worry. Hopefully your mom will follow your lead.

Thanks
That does make me think of a couple questions.

1. How excatly does the filter work? Cuz mine is turning brown/blackish(the white part) is that normal or did I do it wrong, I couldn't really understand the intructions but it only fit one way so I figured I got it. (I the water after going from the tank would contact the white thing, the thing turning a different color, and a black thing then back into thr water.)

2. Does it matter if you do the water conditioner? I tell her to add it before adding new water but I have seen her do it 2 ways.
A. Add tap water to the tank then add conditioner
B. Add condtioner to the tank water after taking half out then adding the new tap water
Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynn View Post
Thanks
That does make me think of a couple questions.

1. How excatly does the filter work? Cuz mine is turning brown/blackish(the white part) is that normal or did I do it wrong, I couldn't really understand the intructions but it only fit one way so I figured I got it. (I the water after going from the tank would contact the white thing, the thing turning a different color, and a black thing then back into thr water.)
The filter is supposed to get a nasty brown color because its cleaning gunk out of the water. Just clean the filter cartridge in USED tank water every week or two to keep it from getting too gunky & not letting the water flow through it.

2. Does it matter if you do the water conditioner? I tell her to add it before adding new water but I have seen her do it 2 ways.
A. Add tap water to the tank then add conditioner
B. Add condtioner to the tank water after taking half out then adding the new tap water
The proper way to do is to add conditioner to the new water BEFORE the water goes into the tank or to add conditioner to the tank for the full volume of the tank & then add the new water. If new water is added before any water conditioner you run a high risk of killy BB.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #7 
Wynn

Quote:
The proper way to do is to add conditioner to the new water BEFORE the water goes into the tank or to add conditioner to the tank for the full volume of the tank & then add the new water. If new water is added before any water conditioner you run a high risk of killy BB.

So adding more conditionor the the water then adding in the new tap water is a safe method? but not the other way around?
Just to comfrim I read it right
Old 07-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #8 
screwball69

I'm curious if I may but in for a moment, I dont condition my water since there is nothing in it that needs removing like chlorine and what not BUT I am also doing a fish in cycle. should I be conditioning my water anyways untill it is cycled?
screwball69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynn View Post

So adding more conditionor the the water then adding in the new tap water is a safe method? but not the other way around?
Just to comfrim I read it right
Yes, adding conditioner before adding new water is the safest method.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwball69 View Post
I'm curious if I may but in for a moment, I dont condition my water since there is nothing in it that needs removing like chlorine and what not BUT I am also doing a fish in cycle. should I be conditioning my water anyways untill it is cycled?
Do you have well water? A good water conditioner such as Prime will remove more than just chlorine from water. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates? Personally, I would still use a good water conditioner with each water change.