Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #1 
GinjaHaZ

Biting or Fin Rot?

So over the past 2 weeks, I have noticed Lucifer's fins getting worse, and I don't know if it's him biting or if it's fin rot. It all started about 3 weeks after I got him, but it seemed to stop and flared up again a last week. I've only had him a little over 2 months. I'm leaning more towards him biting because I see him try to curl around himself sometimes. He's a Halfmoon as well. Which ever it is how can I stop it?
Thanks in advance!

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? NA
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? not at the moment
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? NA

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets one to two times daily.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ~90%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Betta Safe Conditioner.

Attached Images

GinjaHaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

His anal fin looks like it could have fin rot unless it always has had the black edge. The other fins look shredded which are usually caused by something in the tank; decorations, plants, etc. Fin nipping is typically chunks missing. Fin rot will typically heal up with clean, warm & conditioned water; more frequent water changes. Tail biting more often than not cannot be stopped but again clean, warm & conditioned water will keep it from turning into something more serious. Bettas are tropical fish, they're water temp should be 78-80F to help them maintain optimal health. A 1.5g tank should have at a minimum 2 water changes per week.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #3 
GinjaHaZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
His anal fin looks like it could have fin rot unless it always has had the black edge. The other fins look shredded which are usually caused by something in the tank; decorations, plants, etc. Fin nipping is typically chunks missing. Fin rot will typically heal up with clean, warm & conditioned water; more frequent water changes. Tail biting more often than not cannot be stopped but again clean, warm & conditioned water will keep it from turning into something more serious. Bettas are tropical fish, they're water temp should be 78-80F to help them maintain optimal health. A 1.5g tank should have at a minimum 2 water changes per week.
when I first got him, I didn't notice any black on him at all, and I thought about the tank decor and took some of it out. I'm going to get him some more stuff this week.
GinjaHaZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biting, fin rot