Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #1 
smurphy90

Unhappy I can't tell what's wrong with my betta

Hi everyone,

I can't exactly tell what's wrong with my betta, Gideon. I've had him for almost one year. Basically, he has a significant amount of tearing on his fins. However, it just gets worse SLOWLY. Very slowly. From my understanding, if it were fin rot, my fish would likely be dead (or at least have no fins) by now.
The progression of this was so slow that I didn't even realize his fins were much different until I looked at a photo from August (2012), last week and realized what a significant difference there is in his fins. He has white blotches (not cottony, or ich-like at all) on his fins. his body looks the same as it always has. His fins also have large tears, though he only has silk pants, no decor with sharp edges, and I've never seen signs of tail biting.

Before:

Now:

Here's the basic info on him/his tank:
Housing:
What size is your tank?
10 gallons
What temperature is your tank?
82 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter?
Yes. Aqua-tech power filter 5-15
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No.
Is your tank heated?
Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None.

Food:
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Once per day, 6 pellets

Maintenance:
How often do you perform a water change?
Once/week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
50-60%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Aquasafe.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Yes.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.4
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment:
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
His fins appear really torn. Ragged and curled at the edges. Some white blotches on the fins. No change in his scales/body.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
He is lethargic. Always laying on the bottom, unless it is feeding time. When he sees me coming to feed him, he'll swim around. He swims for a few minutes after, and then goes back to the bottom, resting on/near decor.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Tears in fins progressed VERY slowly over a period of months. Lethargy has only started in the last 2 weeks.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
No. However, I own Maracyn and Maracyn 2, but I have not treated him with it yet.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
He had mild fin rot and swim bladder disease when I bought him, which was taken care of with clean water, very quickly.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
At least 1 year old.
smurphy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #2 
Leviathon

I don't have much experience with Bettas, but is it possible if he's biting his fins?
That's my two cents, I'll wait for an expert to reply. :)
Leviathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #3 
Bailmint

Do you have any plastic plants in the tank? This probably won't be the case if its been happening for a while, but the possibilities are tail nipping or occasionally run I g through a plastic plant if he has one..
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #4 
smurphy90

No, he doesn't have any plastic plants or any decor that's rough at all. He only has silk plants and a terra cotta pot.

Though I've never seen him nip his fins, or chase his tail at all, he may have been stressed. We had to remove a log that was in there about 2 months ago because paint was chipping off of it. That made his tank pretty sparse (at the time there was only one large plant and two very short ones, as well as the terra cotta pot.

I bought him more large silk plants, which came in today. I put them in, hoping more foliage would reduce any stress that may be causing or contributing to his fin damage.
smurphy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #5 
Laki

This happened to my combtail Bowser, I didn't notice it for a long time bc his tail was usually indecisive about having the CT spikes or not and, thus, was always kind of changing.

Ludendorff is a VT and his is not growing back now. I'm wondering if it's a water issue. Like, hardness/softness?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote