Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #1 
A fish named Puppy

Heater?

Hi there, I just bought my first Beta (Puppy) a month ago. it's starting to cool down in Canada and I'm wondering about a heater. I have him in a large glass vase with a square top....is there a heater that hooks over the side? Or maybe one you set the bowl on top of? He seems happy, although he's a little less aggressive lately. he used to get really excited at feeding time and even takes pellets out of my hand! he's still eating, but is slowing just a little. Should I be worried? and is my gut right that I might need a heater? Thanks!
A fish named Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #2 
Eolith

Your gut feeling about needing a heater probably is correct. What capacity is your vase, do you know? You might look up the Hydor Mini and see if it looks like it might work out.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:18 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

You'll need one that is submersible. Welcome to FishForum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #4 
A fish named Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolith View Post
Your gut feeling about needing a heater probably is correct. What capacity is your vase, do you know? You might look up the Hydor Mini and see if it looks like it might work out.
Thanks, It's about 4 litres of water. I'll check out the hydro mini. I appreciate the input!
A fish named Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #5 
ElmoFish

even the mini will be too much heat for a vase that small.. you should only heat containers that are 2+ gallons, as things can go very wrong very fast in anything smaller.. I would suggest getting him a larger home with a heater.. in the meantime tho, a lamp over the vase will probably provide sufficient heat, as long as you remember to turn it off at night so he can rest.
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #6 
giypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmoFish View Post
.. in the meantime tho, a lamp over the vase will probably provide sufficient heat, as long as you remember to turn it off at night so he can rest.
chuckling; Yep ElmoFish, FredFish has definite opinions about the room light I need for studying. I created the first signature because I found him staring straight at me, 'cept he was asleep. FredFish is all geeked about our state's biggest intra-state collegiate football match tomorrow.
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #7 
Calmwaters

I agree in order to put a heater in there you will need at least 2 gallons or more plus your fish would be happier in a bigger home. If you have Petsmart there they have a nice little 2.5 gallon like I got for about $14.00.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote