Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #71 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Oh yeah I remember you mentioned that lol. My bad. It just reminded me of the episode in Family Guy where Mayor West was shooting his "cat gun" and one was named Paul. He made a big deal about it.
lol, I think I remember watching that one XD too funny
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #72 
TheOnlyCanvas

Tumblr is the best!

And that is the cutest thing I've ever heard. It's always nice when bettas actually seem to like each other

Most of my fish have names associated with fantasy - Arthur, Merlin, Pheonix. The only one that doesn't fit right now is Mara, and she's named after a character from Tron: Uprising because of her colors
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #73 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyCanvas View Post
Tumblr is the best!

And that is the cutest thing I've ever heard. It's always nice when bettas actually seem to like each other

Most of my fish have names associated with fantasy - Arthur, Merlin, Pheonix. The only one that doesn't fit right now is Mara, and she's named after a character from Tron: Uprising because of her colors
Aahha, yes! Love those names Mara sounds adorbs!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #74 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay! So busy last few days!!

Upgraded lights on the 33, I just changed out the old red fluorescent for a T12 20W 6,500K tube:

Just a nice picture of Jarvis's 3, really nothing added except I moved the Rotala to his tank to grow better and it's already sprouting more leaves!

Oh and my microsword is actually growing in there as well! I've watched this little green sprout sprout up in the last few days!! I'm so excited so I had to share I hope it spreads out a lot!

And Rembrandt's 3 with upgraded lights!! He's now got a 9 watt mini CFL spiral 5,000K in a 5.5 clamp on light. The 6,500K CFL I had in there before was a little too bright so I moved that to Gambit's 2.5 since it won't be directly pointing down at him like it was in Remmy's tank.

And the boy himself!

He wouldn't flare for me today so I got stuck with these pics lol

Love his blue lips ^_^

Maddie is doing better as far as her fins go! Yay, exciting!

She's still got some sort of slime-ish maybe fungus thing on her face though, treating her at the moment hope she get's better with it.

You can see the slime better here but I just love this picture lol, the three of them being nuts XD Matisse, Jewel and Mystique

Stardust being curious of Maddie's cup

Lady and her sister Emma

Shadowcat, who's doing much better now and has been finally put into her place. She's become very meek and shy which is fine by me but she still socializes with the girls

Stardust

Emma and Shadowcat

Aurora

I love my Frog-bit so much! It's so healthy now and puts out new leaves almost every day it seems! Here's a lovely bud coming out

Jewel playing with me, she was the only one who really wanted to play yesterday!

Mystique trying to jump over some Water Sprite just below the surface

And Jewel jumping the other way lol

More to come in the next post
Old 07-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #75 
lovefordebbie
Banned

beautiful bettas
lovefordebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #76 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay so I've been pet-sitting all week for my aunt's husband's sister lol and she's got two fish tanks, one that is somewhere at 45-55 gallons and another that I think is 22 gallons which is a hexagon. She gave me permission to clean them finally!

So...before I show pics of my progress thus far, let me just say that she has not done a gravel cleaning since she's had the tank which has been about a year....it's got a undergravel filter system and a HOB filter as well thankfully enough. She's done water changes with a hose and just hooks it to the faucet after and fills it back up without water conditioner. Thankfully she's got well water so no chlorine but there could still be heavy metals

The water temp stays at 72 degree's and she's got three Danios, one is a long finned golden danio another is a regular and the third is a mix of the two. She has two GloFish which are two white skirts, one has cataracts in it's right eye. And then she's got a big 6 inch Pleco which I have no idea of the type but he likes to hide quite a bit and then a regular Common Goldfish who I've named Ruku, no idea why but it fits him! lol

So...thankfully she doesn't have many fish but I have to say....the gravel, it's disgusting.

So 4 hours later, lots of trips with my 3 gallon bucket and I'm almost close to half done. That was yesterday, I had to leave for a bit to go to dinner with my mom and her boyfriend. So these are from yesterday and my partial progress. I hope to finish the rest today or at least get most of that sh*t out and rescape it for her; all with her permission of course.

First, these are her two boxer dogs; Roxsy is looking up and Polly was going by:

Both pure female boxers, Roxsy is brown with white paws and chest and Polly is a Brindle coat. They also have a Yorkie Terrier who isn't shown yet
Roxsy yawning;

So here's the tank set up, I took off the lighting system already and had taken a few buckets out already;

Here's what all the buckets that came out looked like....gross man!

Just taking a look at the gravel and the icky stuff that's on the glass from it. You can see where I had cleaned and where I hadn't cleaned yet....

Making progress!

And here's how I left it last night, I really hope I can finish the rest today or at least by tomorrow. I'll be at her house until Saturday anyway
Old 07-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #77 
lovefordebbie
Banned

i love pet sitting!
lovefordebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #78 
Viva

So jealous of the plants in your 33 gallon. Mine is still quite bare of plants but I just ordered some from plantedaquariumscentral.com because I heard a lot of good things about them. I got some plants that require medium - high light so I hope my new dual T5 fixture, DIY CO2 and Seachem ferts are good enough to help them survive and grow :)

I wish I knew people with dogs so I could petsit for them
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #79 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
So jealous of the plants in your 33 gallon. Mine is still quite bare of plants but I just ordered some from plantedaquariumscentral.com because I heard a lot of good things about them. I got some plants that require medium - high light so I hope my new dual T5 fixture, DIY CO2 and Seachem ferts are good enough to help them survive and grow :)

I wish I knew people with dogs so I could petsit for them
lol, Thanks! They are an accumulation of plants over the last 6 months really. I've ordered from ThatpetPlace.com with good results, they started my love of water sprite haha and then I've gotten plants from ebay and mostly now from my LFS down the road.

I only have SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive and API Root Tabs split in half. I meant to do a DIY CO2 system but I'm not sure if I can keep up well with the weekly mixtures of the yeast and sugar and then keeping up with the water changes. Already, I've gone two weeks without taking water out of the 33 I'm a bad owner >< but I've put new water in when it evaporated....counts for something right? lol

I plan on changing the water soon, probably Friday or Saturday since I'll be tackling the monster at the house I'm pet-sitting for. As much as I love pet-sitting, I CANNOT stand the dogs licking me and Junior (the terrier) licking and grooming himself at night since he has to sleep with me....arrggg drives me insane!

Oh and they woke me up at 5 this morning to go outside >.> they think that when I move (I move a lot in my sleep) that I must be getting up so that means time to whine and whimper and bark to let them out! I got up as quick as I could, hopped the fence with Junior and got them outside and then promptly got hiccups....I had the hiccups for two hours this morning for no apparent reason! Well not that hiccups come on for reasons lol, but I literally woke up with them....my diaphragm must not have been happy I guess! lol

But by the time 7 rolled around and I had fallen asleep again, they were gone. Then I got up and got ready for work and left at 7:50 and now I'm at work. Only half an hour left! yayayayay! Then I get to do more water changes on the 45-55 gallon tank and break my back! lol got to love it XD well at least water changes will be easier on that tank after this is all done!

I'm really debating taking the fish out to take up the undergravel filter to really wash it out.....but I don't know if that's a good idea or not since I literally only have a 3 gallon bucket and that's a lot of water to be replacing it all. I have the time I'm sure, even if I stay up late tonight but I'll be there.

Idk, you guys think it's a good idea? I'd be worried about chasing those darn danio's down though :-/ and then accidentally hurting the Pleco too he's huge! but I don't want them to be in there when I take it out, pretty sure it wouldn't be possible either lol well, just not easy I guess...
Old 07-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #80 
Viva

Yeah I know what you mean I hate doing water changes with my 4 gallon bucket. Filling up the 28 gallon was a pain lol. Lots of spilled water too :( ...do you need more water changes with a CO2 system? I might not use it and just use Seachem Excel since I have a bottle already.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote