Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

PLANT PROFILES PROJECT - All Plant Nerds welcome!!!

JOIN IN THE PLANT PROFILE PROJECT!
(feel free to add anything about any plant)

I'm painfully aware of the fact that we do not have a good plant profile for our plants on Bettafish.
So let's all make one together!

This is how this is going to work, I will need to employ your help and your collective experience in making a comprehensive plant profile thread.

I will list the plants below, feel free to give your input on any of these plants and make suggestions on plants we can add to the list.

Please try to suggest plants that you have/had in your possession.

I'm going to list by common name, use your browser's search function to find...

Please fill this out if you want to add/give more info on a plant.

It is mandatory to fill out the name and scientific name ....

All personal experience/ emotions welcome!

Code:
Plant:
Scientific name:
Max Height of plant:
Max width of plant:
Leaf size:
Minimum Lighting for growth:
Easy/medium/hard?:
Color:
Comments/suggestions on this plant:
Picture? High res preferred!:
All plants can be found on post #2

plant profile page here...
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=223890

still a WIP

Last edited by ao; 07-11-2013 at 03:14 PM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

PLANTS

ANUBIAS

AMAZON SWORDS

(never owned any, root feeders, prefers fertilization at the roots. most sp grows to be rather large and therefore unsuitable for small tanks)

BANANA LILY
Nymphoides aquatica
A lily plant with a very interesting banana like attachment between the stems and the roots. These "Bananas" stores nutrients for the plant and generally will deteriorate when the plant roots in substrate.
Leaves reaching the water surface should be trimmed if a more compact look is desired of this plant. Other wise if a leaf is allowed to break the surface and form a lily pad, leaves that will grow there after will follow suit.

Adventitious pads when cut and left floating can sprout new banana lily plants.

BRAZILIAN PENNYWORT

the Brazilian Pennywort is a nice species of stem plants that send out large round leaves along a central stem. This species prefers to the grown floating, and does not rot easily in the substrate. Floating penny wort plants will produce leaves with a more pronounced frilled edge.

CABOMBA

A nice frilly stem plant. Often times these are bunched in the local fish store to look very bushy, but once spread out in the home aquarium this plant can lose the busy effect. Cabomba has a tendency to lose lower leaves as the grow, this "shedding" of leaves is usually due to loss of sufficient lighting in the lower strata of the aquarium.

CRYPTOCORYNE/CRYPTS

ELODEA/ANACHARIS

A fast growing cold water plant. Elodea has been observed to melt when introduced to warmer environments without a transitioning process. Otherwise, once established it is a great addition to the aquarium and an ample nitrogen sink. The rapid and often messy growth of this species makes it undesirable in neater aquarium scapes.

GUPPY GRASS

A fast growing stem plant. Also a very hardy stem plant. This species has a tendency to grow in an odd angled formation. Straight upwards growth is impossible for this plant. This is a great plant to leave floating in order to provide cover and hiding places for fry, shrimps and other fish.

HAIRGRASS/DWARF HAIRGRASS

A skinny grass like rosette plant which prefers brighter lighting. Hairgrass is a hard plant once established in the aquarium. due to the size of the individual blade and small roots, this pant prefers a finer substrate. in very low light situations growth will be slow and the hairgrass may send upward runners instead of growing along the substrate.

HORNWORT

(Neve kept this species. it does have a tendency to shed, a fast grower, great ammonia sink)

JAVA FERN

JAVA MOSS
A great plant to tie to drift wood/rocks etc. Also a wonderful gift for shrimps as they love to pick at the particles that settle in the tiny leaves. A relative fast growing moss that will attach to wood, rocks and substrate. The speed at which this plant attaches is relative to the amount of lighting available (ie. higher lighting allows faster attachment).

LUDWIGIA SP.

A nice stem plant. Many species have deeper green leaves which turns red leaves under higher lighting. Ludwigia repens is the species commonly sold in the local fish store. This plant may get leggy under lower lighting.

RICCIA

An interesting moss like livewort that grows in a lacy structure. This species grows rapidly floating and slower submersed. If left floating, riccia will create a thick cloud of green that will blanket the surface of the water. Riccia can also be tied to objects to create a nice carpet under higher light situations.
Please note that this species, if not contained can be rather messy to work with.

ROTALA

Rotala is a genus of generally small delicate leaved stem plants which turns pink/red as the plant draws closer to the light. there are many species of this plant. The most common one, rotala rotundifolia can be found in most local fish stores. this species will be come leggy under low light, but will stay compact in higher light situations. High lighting is needed to bring out out the best colors in this genus of plants.

While most species will survive in low light, certain species like rotala macrandra will only survive if given unshaded bright lighting.

SAGITTARIA/ DWARF SAGITARIA

A hardy rosette plant that needs very little care. Sagittaria, once established will thrive on absolute neglect. This species propagate via runners, and if the given conditions are optimum, it will tank over the substrate rapidly.

SUNSET HYGRO

A beautiful species that is unfortunately a federal noxious weed. this plant cannot be transported or moved from your tanks without a permit. This is a very hardy plant that grows green-light orange-pink-reddish as it reaches the light, hence earning it the "sunset" title.

SUSSWASSERTANG

WATER WISTERIA

A beautiful beginner's plant. This plant has rather humble leaves when grown emmersed, but once under water will bring out beautiful submersed frilly leaves. this plant does prefer some good light, but will do fine in low lighting. A variegated version is also circulating in the aquarium hobby.

WATER SPRITE

Water sprite is a fast growning low light fern. This plant does beautifully both floating and rooted. it has the ability to grow and entire new plant from a single loose leaf. A few varieties are available, including, the broad leaf and narrow leave versions. May melt when dosing liquid Co2.

VALLISNERIA/VAL

(never owned this plant. Generally a plant for larger tanks (20 gallons +). This plant propagates via runners. May melt when dosing liquid Co2.)

to be sorted later

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillakev View Post
nice thread aokashi

Plant: ROTALA SINGAPORE
Scientific name: ROTALA INDICA "SINGAPORE"
Max Height of plant: if left untouched maybe more that 20 inches
Max width of plant: 2 inch give or take
Leaf size: 1 inch
Easy/medium/hard?: medium hard
Color: pink and green
Comments/suggestions on this plant: this is a beautiful stem plant that gets really pink with a good amount of light. Co2 is a must, will strive in medium light but growth is not that good without co2. I currently have some in a medium lit tank without co2 and growth is slow but still alive.

Plant: MICROSWORDS
Scientific name:Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis
Max Height of plant: 2 INCHES
Max width of plant: 2 mm? its thin
Leaf size: 2 mm
Easy/medium/hard?: easy
Color: green
Comments/suggestions on this plant: use as a foreground or around wood or rocks. this grows very well for me not fast or slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
Green Myrio- also called "frill plant" at Petsmart. Nice lush green plant, grows long/tall like hornwort. It can float or be planted in the substrate. It will grow long roots when in higher light, and will also grow very quickly. In low light, it lives but doesn't grow quickly. Tends to shed a lot when kept in water above 80 degrees.

Duckweed- tiny floating leaves. Can multiply fast and become a pest.

Hornwort- similar to myrio, but the "needles" are singular and it is a darker green color. This plant cannot be planted in the substrate because it will rot. It has to be floating or tied to something. In low light, it lives but doesn't grow quickly.

Last edited by ao; 07-12-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Awesome. Thank you for this, and if I have anything to add I will!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #4 
gorillakev

nice thread aokashi

Plant: ROTALA SINGAPORE
Scientific name: ROTALA INDICA "SINGAPORE"
Max Height of plant: if left untouched maybe more that 20 inches
Max width of plant: 2 inch give or take
Leaf size: 1 inch
Easy/medium/hard?: medium hard
Color: pink and green
Comments/suggestions on this plant: this is a beautiful stem plant that gets really pink with a good amount of light. Co2 is a must, will strive in medium light but growth is not that good without co2. I currently have some in a medium lit tank without co2 and growth is slow but still alive.

Plant: MICROSWORDS
Scientific name:Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis
Max Height of plant: 2 INCHES
Max width of plant: 2 mm? its thin
Leaf size: 2 mm
Easy/medium/hard?: easy
Color: green
Comments/suggestions on this plant: use as a foreground or around wood or rocks. this grows very well for me not fast or slow.
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #5 
OrangeAugust

Green Myrio- also called "frill plant" at Petsmart. Nice lush green plant, grows long/tall like hornwort. It can float or be planted in the substrate. It will grow long roots when in higher light, and will also grow very quickly. In low light, it lives but doesn't grow quickly. Tends to shed a lot when kept in water above 80 degrees.

Duckweed- tiny floating leaves. Can multiply fast and become a pest.

Hornwort- similar to myrio, but the "needles" are singular and it is a darker green color. This plant cannot be planted in the substrate because it will rot. It has to be floating or tied to something. In low light, it lives but doesn't grow quickly.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 07-10-2013 at 03:48 PM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #6 
OrangeAugust

Forgot about dwarf red lily. Very pretty pink and green plant with large leaves. It grows VERY quickly and shoots up about 4 lily pads per week. I have to prune it often so that the lily pads aren't blocking the light. I always keep about 5 on the plant, though. I think it would outgrow smaller tanks. my tank it a 55 gallon and the lily pads grow all the way to the top and longer.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

woohoo submissions.
I love you guys <3
I'm figuring out a way to keep thing more organized... stay tuned :P

NEED PURTY PHOTOS! lolol
Old 07-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

I'm in need of more info on beginner plants. Anyone?
Old 07-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #9 
Deanna01

You could add frogbit! My bettas adore it.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna01 View Post
You could add frogbit! My bettas adore it.
please fill out the form with your experience about frogbit! :) Names are important, but more than that, I need everyone's experience!