Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #1 
3bangdoos

Thumbs down Could Neptune be having DROPSY?

For the past two days, Neptune has been pretty lethargic by his own standards, just lying at the bottom of the tank, not even bothering took at Mars, leave alone flaring! I did a 50% w/c a couple of days back and he was sprightly for a couple hours, but it's back to the same thing.

He eats his two pellets (and wants more!), perks up when someone passes his tank and does not show any signs of bloating or scale protrusion. Could he have dropsy?

I've anyways started him on Maracyn-2, but would like to treat him symptomatically. Any ideas would help greatly!

Thanks guys!
3bangdoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #2 
ElmoFish

whats the water temp? tank size? cycled or uncycled? doesn't sound like dropsy..
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #3 
ElmoFish

Lethargic betta's are usually too cold... although it may be a sign of something else.. definatly doesn't sound like dropsy tho, I wouldn't jump to meds so soon..
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #4 
3bangdoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmoFish View Post
Lethargic betta's are usually too cold... although it may be a sign of something else.. definatly doesn't sound like dropsy tho, I wouldn't jump to meds so soon..
It's a 2.5 G tank which is cycled. Temp is abt 68-70F but he's been fine in lesser temps too.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

That is really too cold for a Betta, I bet he'd perk up if you bought a mini heater. His temp needs to be around 78-80 degrees.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #6 
Elena

If you treat him with Maracyn or any other antibiotic that will disturb the bacteria that keep your tank cycled and you may end up with ammonia spikes. How frequent are the water changes? I agree with the heater suggestions above. Also it doens't sound like medication is necessary at this point.

Last edited by Elena; 10-03-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #7 
3bangdoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena View Post
If you treat him with Maracyn or any other antibiotic that will disturb the bacteria that keep your tank cycled and you may end up with ammonia spikes. How frequent are the water changes? I agree with the heater suggestions above. Also it doens't sound like medication is necessary at this point.
I did a 80% w/c, cleaned the tank and gravel and put the guys back in. Neptune seems to be marginally better (though nowhere near his original perkiness). I discontinued the meds to see what would happen. I still feel the temp in this case is not the problem, cos these guys have seen dips upto 68F. Thanks for the mini heater suggestions.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #8 
AngelicScars

Even though they have been used to the cold, it doesn't mean the effects will show immediately. Over time, they can become lethargic among other things.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #9 
JamieTron

I will give you advice that my fish health professor gave us in class

Bettas (or any fish), are poikilothermic (cold-blooded, which you prob know). When placed in water that is too cold OR too warm that suppresses their immune system due to stress because they don't regulate their temperature like you and I. They can live at those colder temperatures but it doesn't mean their body performs best at them. If you can control the temperature to around 78 or so then that is the optimal temperature range for a betta. Basically this means that is the temperature their body will best function at, reducing chance of illness. Environment is the key! If you can control this you have a better chance at biting illnesses in the butt!

Now if you find your betta is already ill, keeping the temperature warm and stable will help his immune system fight off the illness instead of trying to function at temperatures his body is uncomfortable with. Basically you are allowing his body to work less hard.

I hope this helps, if you choose not to fix the temperature, just be careful to at least keep your temperature at least stable. Fluctuations of more then one degree a day are extra stressful.

Sorry my message is so long! LOL

Your water changes seem good so I don't see any other water problems that could contribute.

Good Luck!
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #10 
dr2b

I agree with what has been said previously, that water is way way to cold for bettas. They need water that is 77 to 81 degrees F. Anything colder makes them very lethargic. I bet anything you'll see a big change if you got a mini heater for your tank and made that water warmer.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote