Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

New fish care question

Usually my fish come in energetic and lively. I got a shipment today-4 total-and one of my new fellas doesn't seem to be doing too hot. He had heavy stress stripes when I opened the box. I acclimated him like all the rest and he's in his QT tank now. My QT tanks are quiet and small with no filtration. I do 100% water changes with aged, treated water every other day. He is in the largest of the QT tanks @ 2 gallons.

Anyway, he ate and started blowing bubbles under his IAL leaf but he will stop what he is doing and sink to the bottom and bounce. He will sit there for a long while then resume his activities.

I'm wondering if because he is so big he is suffering from the toxic water of his shipping bag. He's a giant plakat every bit of 4". My giants usually arrive fine after two days of shipping.

I'm wondering if I should do daily water changes of 100%??
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #2 
lovefordebbie
Banned

no! daily 100% water changes stresses them out.. ALOT
lovefordebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

Sometimes it is medically necessary to change the water daily such as when treating fin rot or fungus. As long as the fish is handled gently-with a cup, the water is aged, the same temperature and treated the fish does fine.
I'm just wondering is he's suffering from the excess ammonia in his shipping bag. Giant betta make a lot of waste.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

ILB - doing extra water changes (full or partial) definitely won't hurt, and should help rid his body of built-up toxins faster.

Also, covering the tank with plastic food wrap will increase the humidity and make it easier for him to breathe. (This also has a calming effect.) Be sure to leave several inches of air.

Darkness has a calming effect too, so you may want to cover the tank by draping a towel or sheet around it.

Have you tried feeding him yet?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

I put the cling wrap over the top. He seems to be feeling better this morning. I will do daily water changes for a few days. He is eating well.
He hasn't colored up yet though. Still kinda pale. I'm leaving the light off in the room for him as well.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Glad he's doing better today!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote