Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #11 
LittleDeer

Many people actually favor bare bottom tanks, especially for smaller tanks, because it gives you more space for water, so less ammonia accumulates between water changes. Really most of the purpose of gravel is to hold beneficial bacteria, but if you aren't cycling your tanks, it really is only decorative, or to weigh down plants. You may actually benefit from a bare bottom tank. Without gravel, waste won't get trapped between the rocks and you can actually see all the waste which makes cleaning a lot easier.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #12 
sassyfriend

Question

What is caboama and what does it look like do you have a picture of it?
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #13 
RussellTheShihTzu

Here you go. With a little information about it, too.

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...eenCabomba.htm
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #14 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have noticed that in my 2.5g tank there is a film that develops on the glass, when I do 100% water change I just wipe it down with a paper towel, I don't however rinse out the gravel or wash off the decorations. How often are you doing water changes on the tanks? Because of they're size you should be doing at least if not more per week. I don't know which gravel vac your mom bought, the ones with the buld you squeeze can take a few squeezes to get it going plug you need to make sure the bucket your draining the water in is lower than the tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #15 
txbettaowner

First, good job on being an awesome person to save bettas from your local pet store (LPS). However, you have to have proper setups for the bettas to be happy, healthy, and well taken care of. What you could do since you like to rescue bettas. Once the bettas get back to great health and look good then give them to someone who will give the betta a good home.

I agree with the others that you do need heaters for each tank unless you keep your room in the 80s or 90s. Think of it this way: the temperature of the water is 20 degrees lower than the temperature in your room. Bettas survive happy and healthy in 72 degrees to 80 degree water. The colder the water the more they are able to get sick.

You should not have 2 bettas in a divided 2.5 gallon tank. You can do 2 bettas in a divided 5 gallon tank. That would be better temporarily. I have my 6 bettas in 2 10 gallon tanks (divided in half so 2 bettas in each tank), 1 2gallon tank, and i have my rescue in a 1.5 gallon tank by himself. He is only there short term as I am looking for a home for him.

How many 2.5 gallon tanks do you have? You do need a filter but not with the current setup you have right now.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #16 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Protein film from all the food. It's safe.

IMO 2.5 gallons are too small for 2 bettas, let alone one. You'll need a heater if you want those 2 to be healthy. The light will heat the water a little bit, but what about night time when it's colder? I suppose the divider has holes, right? They'll see each other and it's really stressful to them..

Please take care of your first pets first and get the best supplies rather than getting another one and another and another..
Breathe, take a pill, and chill Lebron. 2.5 g for one betta is fine. Not everyone's parents can run out and buy every single supply supply or tank their kid wants at the drop of a hat. I agree about the need for a heater for night time when its cooler (considering the heatwave atm) and with others about 2.5g not being enough for two bettas.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #17 
sassyfriend

I have 2 of them. Worried about putting any in the second one however as my other fishy just recently died and I don't have hardly any other water in my bucket as of right now so one of my 2.5 doesn't have anything in it at all and i'm not sure how much of the aqua stuff mom puts in the water for bucket.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #18 
txbettaowner

So you have 2 bettas in 1 2.5 gallon divided tank but you have another 2.5 gallon tank with nothing in it? I would bleach the other tank and rinse it out until you don't smell the bleach anymore. Also boil any gravel and decor that is in the 2.5 gallon that had the sick betta in it. Boil the plants if they ain't real too. I would then let it set for a few days to air dry then fill it with water, put in your water conditioner, and put one of the bettas in it. You will have your problem solved at least except for the heater situation.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #19 
LittleDeer

+1 txbettaowner

I definitely agree with that. I understand you love Bettas and want to rescue more, but rescuing doesn't do much good if your own personal pets have to be in crowded conditions because of it. I mean 1.25 gallons is decent, but you have to take into consideration what's best for the ones you already have before getting more. While its a really great thing to rescue Bettas, not everyone has the capability to do that while keeping all their fish in good conditions. Your own pets need to come first.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #20 
txbettaowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDeer View Post
+1 txbettaowner

I definitely agree with that. I understand you love Bettas and want to rescue more, but rescuing doesn't do much good if your own personal pets have to be in crowded conditions because of it. I mean 1.25 gallons is decent, but you have to take into consideration what's best for the ones you already have before getting more. While its a really great thing to rescue Bettas, not everyone has the capability to do that while keeping all their fish in good conditions. Your own pets need to come first.
Thank you LittleDeer.