Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #1 
ranetree

Fasting Fish?

And before you ask, no, my fish is not going to be celebrating Ramadan. (But Ramadan mubarak to those who are!)

I recently brought a betta fish into my office, to have some company at my lonely desk. I've only had him since Monday, and he seems to be doing just peachy. I generally feed him when I come in in the morning and right before I leave in the afternoon, with maybe a bloodworm around lunch for a treat. Little guy eats like a horse (I give him about five Hikari pellets each feeding, and he never leaves anything untouched and actually skims the surface for a bit looking for more), which makes me wonder how well he'll handle not eating for two days.

I don't want to take him home every weekend only to bring him back on Monday; my commute is pretty long and that cycle of transferring containers would be so stressful for him. But at the same time, given how well he eats, I'm wondering if that two-day fast will be stressful as well.

Should I invest in a pack of those vacation feeders and just bust them in half? Feed him a little extra on Friday? Or do you think he'll be all right going two days without food?

Last edited by ranetree; 07-11-2013 at 11:00 AM.
ranetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #2 
TheGoldenBetta

He would most likely be fine, but obviously hungry. I think you should buy a pack of vacation tabs. I went on vacation for about a week, and my fish were as happy as ever when I got home.
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

He'll be fine. I've had Bettas at work & am looking to get one again; took my last one home when I thought I was going to be out of the office for 3-4 wks, sorry I digressed. I would feed mine 3-4 times each day I was work, 2 days with no food not a problem, mine went a week without food because I had an unexpected absence. Yours will be fine.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #4 
TheGoldenBetta

I think his fish will feel better with those vacation tabs, and if he puts the whole thing in, when he gets back he doesn't have to feed him for a few more days.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

He'll be fine. And you don't want to use vacation feeders, most cloud up the water and they sink; most bettas won't find it appetizing on the bottom and just being a white cube of "food".
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenBetta View Post
I think his fish will feel better with those vacation tabs, and if he puts the whole thing in, when he gets back he doesn't have to feed him for a few more days.
Most aquarist advise against using the vacation blocks, fish tend to eat them all in one day & they tend to badly foul the water. A healthy fish is fine going without food for several days.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #7 
TheGoldenBetta

You guys are probably right, I'm just saying my fish were fine and ate it.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #8 
txbettaowner

ranetree, I fasted my bettas for 2 weeks without food. They did fabulously. I left last month on the 26th. I gave my 5 bettas their last feeding on the 23rd. I did not feed them on the 24th so their system would clean out and there would be no waste. I cleaned all tanks on the 25th and they were fine. They were skinny but that was 14 days without food. 2 days without food is fine. DO NOT USE THE VACATION TABS/7 day feeders etc etc. If you are concerned you can try an automatic feeder but I have never used one before.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #9 
ranetree

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

I was definitely on the fence before about the vacation tabs (because really, what's that white stuff and what would it add to my water?), but now I know for certain that's a non-option. Glad the general consensus is that he'll be okay over the weekend.
ranetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #10 
TheGoldenBetta

It's fine if you do a water change when you get back.